Basis for configuring Discovery IP range in "Data Flow Probe Setup"
On what basis do we configure discovery IP ranges in data flow probe setup in HP uCMDB ??
If we give an entire subnet as the IP range, in all likely scenario, not all IP addresses would be allocated in that subnet. The discovery jobs which run against such unassigned IP addresses fail resulting in errors.
Its a tedious job to go through the errors & later come to know that IP itself is not assigned to any IT device.
So, my question is:
1. How should we configure IP ranges in data flow probe setup ?? Should we give the entire IP subnet as IP range OR should we provide static / individual IP addresses ??
2. If we provide IP ranges, how do we identify unassigned IP addresses ?? is there a particular error code / error status from the job ??
3. If we provide individual IP addresses in data flow probe setup, how do we tackle the scenario of discovery of new IP addresses that are assigned in the IT estate ??
I am sure this is a very basic question & somebody will surely have an answer.
Please let me know. Thanks.
Re: Basis for configuring Discovery IP range in "Data Flow Probe Setup"
Please find asnwers below:
1. Give the Ip range you want to discover. In case, there in no ping answer on specific IP, no other discovery job will be running on it.
2. For any IP address not answering on ping, no IP CI will be created.
3. This is a whole thing. The idea is to give full IP range you want to run discover on. Then when new IP will be introduced, all discovery will start running.
Hope this helps.
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.