Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

CMDB for testing environment assets/ci's

Hi Experts, I've been reading some Eli Eyal's blog articles about CMDB / UCMDB and my question is ¿how is the recomendation to manage hundreds of testing ci's in a CMDB with a lot of bizservice assets, applications assets, hardware equipment, all of them identified as production environment but how to connect them with all the testing, development servers/test application behind them?  I would like to know how is that manage in other companies as a success case.

Thanks in advance.

Good questions will have Good answers
Tags (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: CMDB for testing environment assets/ci's

Hello Norita,

You can prepare a multi tenants environment. In that way you could associate some of the test CIs with one ore more tenants. That will also allow you to share, relocate and manage any resources and CIs between tenants.

Best Regards,
Nikola

------------------------
Nikola Todorov
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi  Norita,

please elaborate your question. What do you mean by all of them are identified as production env but they should be connected to the testing/dev app/servers.

Maybe I'm missing something from your statement.

Kind regards,

Bogdan

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Bogdan,  I'll try to explain with an example :

These ci's are classiffied as Production Environment

Sales is the bizservice connected with 2 application ci's : Minor Sales and Major Sales

Minor Sales application connected with : ServerA1, ServerA2, ServerA3, ServerA4

Major Sales application connected with : ServerB100, ServerB101; ServerB102, ServerB103, ServerB104

These other ci's are classified as Non Production Environment: DWIN705 (is a Server Development Minor Sales), DWIN906 (is a Server Development Major Sales), QLINUX333 (is a Server Testing QA Minor Sales) , QLINUX501 (is a Testing QA Server Major Sales)

The Non Production Environment are the assets where the development team and the testing team  work with new deployments or fixing issues that will be applyed into production environment

¿Is it a good practice to connect de Non Production Environment ci's to the bizservice and application ci's that are classiffied or identified as Productive Environment?  CMDB is related to Service Manager Modules where I must create tickets where the bizservice is a required field  ¿Wich affected bizservice must apply when the affected ci is a Server Testing QA?

Thanks in advance  (I hope the example I've wrote above could clarify the question).

Good questions will have Good answers
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

It would be better if you create another set of Bizservice and application and specify those as DEV or Testing

So Sales DEV connected wtih Minor Sales DEV and Major Sales DEV

And associated any server accordingly. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.