Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Configuration Manager and Change Management

Jump to solution

I'm looking through the CM User Guide and I see this passage written with regards to the Change Authorization process:

By clicking Submit, you are authorizing the proposed changes. This transforms the actual state of the CI into its new authorized state.

If the Change Management integration enabled check box in the Settings page is enabled, validation of the selected RFCs will be logged in the change management system.

What exactly is supposed to happen in Service Manager when I select an RFC when authorizing a CI change?  What do they mean by 'validation of the RFCs will be logged in the change managment system'?

For example, I added a new server CI which CM picked up.  I used CM to open a new RFC in Service Manager, then walked the the RFC through to the Evaluation & Change Closure phase where I feel an RFC would be in a real world deployment when the new server is detected by UD and picked up in CM.  When I Authorized the change in CM, I saw no change in the RFC.  Should I have?  The documentation seems to imply so.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Configuration Manager and Change Management

Jump to solution

I believe what the document is stating is that the authorized state will be pushed to Service Manager and UCMDB.  There is a video describing this here:  https://hpln.hpe.com/group/ccrm

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
UCMDB Worldwide Support Lead
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello,

As we can see on the guide this task enables you to create an RFC to change a CI that is in breach of a previously defined
configuration policy. You are able to select multiple CIs, but if the selected CIs breach more than one policy, you are prompted to select the specific policy that you want to remediate, and the CIs that breach other policies are then discarded for this procedure.

And about what exctly is supposed to happen in Service Manager when I select an RFC when authorizing a CI change? We need to contact someone of SM to give you the correct answer on this. As soon as i contact someone of that team I will post here the answer. 

Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks Ricardo.

In the case of our client, policies don't enter into the mix.  At present, they aren't at a point in their configuration management processes to define and enforce policies on their CIs.  All they are looking to do at the moment is have UCMDB scan the Actual state of their environment and let CM flag any changes.  During the authorization process, they would then look at the recent RFCs that UCMDB pulled from SM via the federation and select the one(s) responsible for the changes they are authorizing.

We currently have a service request open with HP regarding the fact that CM is not displaying the recent RFCs tied to CIs.  They've escalated the problem a couple of times so I imagine they've discovered something is pretty broken.  This issue may be responsible for me not seeing any changes in the SM RFC records.  However, it would be nice to know what I'm supposed to see so we can help the client plan their workflow.

Ricardo, if you can find out anything from the SM people, that would be great.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I believe what the document is stating is that the authorized state will be pushed to Service Manager and UCMDB.  There is a video describing this here:  https://hpln.hpe.com/group/ccrm

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
UCMDB Worldwide Support Lead
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks Keith.  That video was just what we were looking for.  When I ran this test before, I didn't see the Activity table updates as they had been moved to a tab on our client's forms and I missed it.  This really helps us out.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.