Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Could not resolve DNS name - VCenter Topology Discovery / Aging eliminates relationships

Hi -

curiously I find that I have lost several cis due to aging, please see the following image:

aging.PNG

I have run out of cluster VMware children:

vcenter.PNG

is it possible to identify which VMware ESXs belong to those cis that have been removed, Virtualization Layer Software? I find it impossible that all VMware ESX or the Virtualization layer Software relationship have stopped responding to time. I do not understand.

Question 2:

Also there is a VMware Cluster field that I do not understand and there is not much information in the ci type manager, and it is the Status field:
From green to yellow.
green is active and yellow off?

Thank you.

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Re: aging I eliminate all relationships Virtualization Layer Software

Hello Marsella.

Thank you for using the MicroFocus forums.

I would recommend you to grab the communication log and the history and open a new support ticket. Regarding the second question, I am pretty sure it is from the VMWare side, UCMDB just scans the state but I am not sure what they means.

Regards,

Caleb Quesada

UCMDB Software Support Engineer

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi marsella,

you can always monitor what is going to be deleted by doing an enrichment checking the IsCandidateForDeletion = 'true'. If a lot of VMWare assets are being removed, then something is wrong with vcenter/esx topology discoveries.

Petko

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Petko,

any recommendation in the discovery with VCenter topology?

isCandidateForDeletion = 'true and LastAccesTime? Enrichement or TQL?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

My recommendation is to run TQL report after doing the VCenter discovery and check which ESXs havent been updated (with lastaccesstime changed). These CIs would dissapear. 

Petko

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

I have tried again to discover VMware ESX but it has not been possible and still maintains the permissions of firewall and user.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

If the discovery fails, the CIs in UCMDB will age and be deleted. You have to fix your discovery or disable the aging. 

Cheers,

Petko Popadiyski

Freelance Microfocus CMS UCMDB Consulting

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hello,
I'd like you to review the attached log.
I have run the VCenter conection discovery and the failure is successful when executing the Vcenter Topology job, I can get to the vmware cluster, however in the commlog I can see the esx that belong to those clusters, but most of them have an error like following:

Could not resolve DNS name: ESXHPEYQA3B8 (so for everyone VMware ESX)

...Cannot resolve IP from hostname, reading it from vCenter

Some help?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

VMware discovery engages the _resolveEsxHostnameToIp function to find out what is the IP Address of the ESX to be attached to a the vmware_esx_server CI. Since the hostname, which is given in the vcenter is not in the DNS resolver, it takes the IP configuration from the VCenter database. 

As you see in the results, it doesn't cause any issue and the ESX CIs are created appropriately. 

Petko

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Another approach would be to manually enter in etc/hosts file of the probe the IPs of those ESX hostname. There are some UCMDB users which use this approach. It may be easy to maintain sometimes.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.