PING_6 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Difference between DDMi and DDMA

Jump to solution

Hi Experts,

We are planning for an enterprise dicovery in our org. So which could be the best one.

Also pls list out the diffrences.

Thanks

P.S. This thread has been moved from  Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. -HP Forum Moderator

Whatever exists is changeable and what is not changeable does not exist.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. tibornad Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Difference between DDMi and DDMA

Jump to solution
a very brief overview:

DDMi (HP Discovery and Dependency Mapping Inventory software):

HP Discovery and Dependency Mapping (DDM) Inventory software provides an accurate picture of your IT environment, helping you solve key challenges of cost reduction, security and compliance. It serves as the inventory solution for HP Client Automation software and integrates with HP Enterprise Mobility Suite for mobile device management.

https://h20229.www2.hp.com/partner/protected/bto/portfolio/products/ddm-inventory.html

From my understanding it's main focus is on the inventory part (asset management). you won't be able to discover any relationships between CIs as compared to DDM.

DDM (HP Discovery and Dependency Mapping software):

HP Discovery and Dependency Mapping provides real-time visibility into the dynamic relationships between applications and the underlying infrastructure. It maintains a topology map that enables you to quickly assess the business impact of IT issues. As a result, you can reduce the costs and risks of managing new services and making changes to existing services.

https://h20229.www2.hp.com/partner/protected/bto/portfolio/products/disc-dep-mapping.html

DDM will feed CIs and relationships between these CIs into the HP uCMDB. I have seen slides where DDM is considered to be a BAC module. But i'm not sure if this is still true. DDM will give you (depending on the fact what DDM license you buy) visibility up to the OSI layer 7. This information for example is then used in BAC to build IT Services. Based on this information you will be able run reporting or things like impact analysis.

There are plenty of documents about both products on the HP product website.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Absent Member.. tibornad Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
a very brief overview:

DDMi (HP Discovery and Dependency Mapping Inventory software):

HP Discovery and Dependency Mapping (DDM) Inventory software provides an accurate picture of your IT environment, helping you solve key challenges of cost reduction, security and compliance. It serves as the inventory solution for HP Client Automation software and integrates with HP Enterprise Mobility Suite for mobile device management.

https://h20229.www2.hp.com/partner/protected/bto/portfolio/products/ddm-inventory.html

From my understanding it's main focus is on the inventory part (asset management). you won't be able to discover any relationships between CIs as compared to DDM.

DDM (HP Discovery and Dependency Mapping software):

HP Discovery and Dependency Mapping provides real-time visibility into the dynamic relationships between applications and the underlying infrastructure. It maintains a topology map that enables you to quickly assess the business impact of IT issues. As a result, you can reduce the costs and risks of managing new services and making changes to existing services.

https://h20229.www2.hp.com/partner/protected/bto/portfolio/products/disc-dep-mapping.html

DDM will feed CIs and relationships between these CIs into the HP uCMDB. I have seen slides where DDM is considered to be a BAC module. But i'm not sure if this is still true. DDM will give you (depending on the fact what DDM license you buy) visibility up to the OSI layer 7. This information for example is then used in BAC to build IT Services. Based on this information you will be able run reporting or things like impact analysis.

There are plenty of documents about both products on the HP product website.

View solution in original post

AsiGarty_1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Another major difference between the products you might want to consider, is the fact that DDMi is agent based while DDM uses known daemon/services and does not require installation of agents.

Asi.
0 Likes
PING_6 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hi Asi,

Hope DDMi itself has both the functionalities.

Two Types of Scanning:
Agent-Based
Agentless
You can choose between agent-based scanning and agentless scanning.

What is an Agent?
An Agent is a component that can be installed on each workstation or server in your network to automatically deploy and run scanners on these devices. The Agent is the component that communicates with your DDM Inventory server, allowing the server to run the scanner and retrieve the scan data. This scenario is called agent-based scanning.
You can configure DDM Inventory to automatically deploy the Agent on Windows devices as soon as they are discovered. For non-Windows platforms, you can create a custom deployment script to deploy the Agent. Once deployed, the Agent can be upgraded, if necessary, or uninstalled. The Agent configuration profile determines if and when the Agent is deployed, upgraded, or uninstalled. The Agent is responsible for encryption and bandwidth control.
When deployed, the software utilization plug-in is installed with the Agent.
Agent configuration profiles are only available if the Inventory license is present.

What is Agentless Scanning?
Agentless scanning addresses the need for infrequent, small footprint, and one-off inventory.
Agentless scanning allows a device to be scanned without deploying an Agent to that device. In this case, DDM Inventory creates a secure connection to the client device, copies a scanner to the device, executes the scanner, and retrieves the scan data. All operations are encrypted and require knowledge of administrator credentials that are valid for the device or group of devices being scanned.

Source :: hp_man_DDMI7.60InstallationandInitialSetup_pdf

Pls confirm
Whatever exists is changeable and what is not changeable does not exist.
0 Likes
AsiGarty_1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
DDMi agent-less capabilities are somewhat more limited and allows SNMP based discovery only.
with SNMP discovery under DDMi you can discover only partial information.

if you you'd like to fully utilize DDMi and get in-depth discovery you'll need to use its agent based capabilities.

with DDM you can use agent-less technologies to get in-depth discovery and mapping information, using protocols such as SSH,Telnet,NTCMD,SNMP,WMI without the need to deploy agents.

some environment are less flexible around agent deployment.

I brought up this issue so you'll be able to make a wise decision when taking into consideration the above issue as well.
Jov Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Fundamentally - DDMi is for Asset Management, the software modelling with little to no relationship data.

DDM-S/A is to provide CI and relationships in building the "Service Assets" which is not the same as IT (Physical) Assets. Basically this is where you develop your company's Service Model(s).

From an Internal HP doc:

As a standalone offering, the Discovery/Dependency Mapping-Inventory (DDM-I) solution is designed for inventory management. It will catalog layer 2 and 3 (Hardware and Software) and provide license utilization metrics (what do I have, how much of it do I have, and how often do we use it). While there is some overlap with DDM-S/A (Standard/Advanced), DDM-I (aka Enterprise Discovery or ED) goes much deeper on the software side because it is designed to catalog all installed software while DDM-S/A are designed to support discovery of software applications and the inter-dependencies needed to model enterprise applications (such as SAP, Seibel, WebLogic, etc). DDM-I, in addition to having its own data store and standalone applications (inventory management, Vista readiness assessment, license compliance), also serves as foundational technology for SMC (Asset Center and Service Center) and BSA (Client Automation) by providing CI data that can be used for asset management, service management, and change management. While you do not need DDM-I to implement AC, SC, or CM, it automates the discovery and population of CI data to these solutions. DDM-I does not map relationships between applications and infrastructure (except by noting a given software package is installed on a given box), nor between applications (it has no knowledge of dependencies between say a Weblogic application and its supporting Oracle database), and is not in and of itself a CMDB. It has no mechanism to display these types of complex relationships, nor can it do impact analysis (what happens if this breaks). DDM-I data may be imported into the HP UCMDB, which speeds the discovery process for those customers who have already deployed DDM-I since much of the layer 2 and 3 information UCMDB relies on would have already been collected.

DDM (Std/Adv) is an application/service dependency mapping solution. It will discover layer 2 through 7 and provides the ability to view the relationships between the discovered CIâ s (how are services deployed across applications, how are applications linked to the underlying software components, how are they deployed across the infrastructure, etc), proactively assess the impact of proposed changes, and assist in root cause analysis when problems occur. DDM-S/A is focused almost exclusively on the data center/server side of the house and interested in things like IIS, SunOne, WebLogic, Oracle, MQ, etc. The data and dependencies discovered and mapped by DDM-S/A are stored in the HP UCMDB. The HP UCMDB is a foundational solution used by a number of other HP solutions such as BAC, RC, and SMC and is the hub technology for future federation with other HP solutions like BSA and NMC as well as 3rd party data sources. While itâ s not necessary to deploy automated discovery to benefit from the many components of BAC, CCM or other solutions, the automated discovery and view creation capabilities in DDM-S/A can add significant value and dramatically shorten certain implementation times on a number of use cases (root cause analysis, monitor auto-deployment, etc). RC is tightly integrated to UCMDB, and relies on the CI data and views created with DDM-S/A to search for change collisions across RFCâ s.
In practice, while there is some overlap in what DDM-I and DDM-S/A discover, the vast majority of the value derived from these two solutions are distinct. Customers utilizing discovery to meet initiatives that require discovery of data center and client assets as well as dependency mapping would need both solutions.

Jov
0 Likes
raghu_I Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi,

I am looking to discover assets in my Data Center and i also need to do an application dependency mapping?
WIll I be needing both DDMI & DDMA or will the use of only DDMA suffice?

Rgds,
Raghu
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Kalyan_27 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Hi,

You need both DDMI and DDM to be installed.
For, DDM we need to UCMDB to be installed.

Note: DDMI and UCMDB cannot be installed on the same server.

I for asset details. DDM for internal relationships between CI.

Regards,
Kalyan.
0 Likes
Dsmith123 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Do you know if the windows account needs to be local or domain admin?  Also can those privilidges be limited to a non admin account?

0 Likes
Contributor.. lana qasem Contributor..
Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello,

Could you please what is the parial information we get from the discovery alone without using the inventory

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.