Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Difference between Zone-based Discovery and Discovery Modules

Jump to solution

Team,

We want to know the difference between the Zone-based Discovery and the Discovery Modules in the uCMDB 10.11 version since we've moved from 10.10 to 10.11 and still have a lot of issues with discovery jobs.

Knowing that while we're using the Discovery module, we're minimizing the error number met with the Zone-based Modules.

Do you know why we're facing that ?

Thanks,

Mohamed.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Re: Difference between Zone-based Discovery and Discovery Modules

Jump to solution

I have the same question regarding differences between "Zone-Based Discovery" and "Discovery Modules/Jobs".

In one case, I was trying to use "Zone-Based Discovery" to discover my NetApp filers using any of the activities I created.  But it never figured everything out.

So I created a "Zone-Based Discovery" activity to discover the infastructure which creates a CI of type Net Device for my filer.  I believe it also created 2 IP address CIs.  But that's as far as I can take it with "Zone-Based Discovery".   I can't seem to find another type of activity that will discover this devices as a NetApp.

Next I go into "Discovery Modules/Jobs" and enable "NetApp Filer by WebServices".  After this finishes, my filer CI type has changed from Net Device to NetApp Filer and may of the volumes are discovered.  But that's as far as it gets.  And I get an a warning message stating "No IP or MAC address found for filer <name goes here>.  Creating "incomplete" FILER CI with sytsem ID <12345678> as key.

At this point, nothing else is discovered about my filer.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello mba,

Discovery modules and zone based discovery are getting different functionality :

1. for small environment, or uniform ones, the discovery modules are sufficient, as all the jobs will use the same set of parameters.
  2. For more complex environment, it's expected to get a distinct configuration of modules, and distinct schedules. Zone based discovery is made for this usage.

It's expected to not mix both usage, and the triggering mechanism was not design with both usages at the same time, that's possibly the cause of your issue.

Stopping all modules from the not used feature, and restarting the zones or modules should allow it to function as expected.

If it's not the case, it's then advised to open a support case, by providing a complete description is what is not correct.

Regards.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Hello Mohamed,

The Zone Based Discovery are actually a copy of the jobs that you see in Discovery Modules. You can create your own templates and run very specific jobs that you need in your flow or you can use the ones that are already OOTB, Infrastructure, Inventory and Software Configuration. You can also assign only some of the IP Ranges defined on the probe to a specific zone.

One thing that is not recommendedis to run both Management Zones and Discovery Modules at once as you will place more laod on the probe and server.

If you have specific issues with Zone Discovery, please give us more details so we can understand the problem better and help you more.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Andrei Matei
uCMDB Support Engineer

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

I have the same question regarding differences between "Zone-Based Discovery" and "Discovery Modules/Jobs".

In one case, I was trying to use "Zone-Based Discovery" to discover my NetApp filers using any of the activities I created.  But it never figured everything out.

So I created a "Zone-Based Discovery" activity to discover the infastructure which creates a CI of type Net Device for my filer.  I believe it also created 2 IP address CIs.  But that's as far as I can take it with "Zone-Based Discovery".   I can't seem to find another type of activity that will discover this devices as a NetApp.

Next I go into "Discovery Modules/Jobs" and enable "NetApp Filer by WebServices".  After this finishes, my filer CI type has changed from Net Device to NetApp Filer and may of the volumes are discovered.  But that's as far as it gets.  And I get an a warning message stating "No IP or MAC address found for filer <name goes here>.  Creating "incomplete" FILER CI with sytsem ID <12345678> as key.

At this point, nothing else is discovered about my filer.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.