Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Discovery of servers by HP uCMDB

Hello All,

I am new to HP uCMDB, although I have understood the architecture and deployment with the help of this forum.

Now my next step as of now is to understand the configuration of discovery jobs for discovering the infrastructure resources. The servers will be discovered using WMI protocol for which I already have admin rights for domain, username and password.

Can anyone please suggest how to configure the  jobs for discovering servers through WMI. Later, by this reference I can learn about configuring jobs for network elements, middlwares, databases and applications.

I have already started learning about OOTB adapters.

Thanks in Advance!!!

0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Discovery of servers by HP uCMDB

What would be your weapon of choice (UCMDB version and even more important, the CP version)?
Normally you will do the following flow:

• Range IPs by ICMP (if allowed)
  • Host Connection by WMI
  • Host Applications/Resources by WMI

What data do you want to retrieve?

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for the revert!!!

Regarding the server discovery I was going through data flow management guide ,I want to understand if I create a new module for the server discovery in data flow management and I have Windows and Linux based servers in my infrastructure.

1. Do I need to create 2 separate jobs for Windows - WMI and Linux - SSH discovery

2. While creating a new job in a module, how can I create the new job:

>> Which adapter should I select

>> Other than port, IP range, credentials do I need provide something else an input

Thanks in Advance!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Are you trying to create a new discovery adapter which should do NT discovery over WMI? What would be the added value? You can cone one of the current discovery jobs and alter it to your needs.

1. If you are talking about Management zones then when you create the job you can choose the discovery protocols. Choosing WMi will imply triggering hostConnection by WMI, the same for SSH which will trigger HostConnection by shell.

2. what is the end goal?

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Bogdan,

As you mentioned, I will not be creating a new discovery adapter and I can use the out of the box discovery jobs and alter as per my needs.

My point was, let's say I am creating a new job for server discovery, 1 for Windows OS (WMI Protocol) and 1 for Linux OS (SSH). So, while creating the new jobs which adapter shall I select. As of now my end goal is to discover the infra resources only - Servers, Network elements, middlewares, databases and enterprise applications.

May be if you can give any snapshot, it would be great for me in understanding the jobs discovered for infra discovery.

You have helped me a lot Bogdan, thanks for all the help I am very close in understanding now little bit more help will me much appreciated!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Are you asking for a discovery flow example with job names?

Did you try to achieve this with management zones by leveraging what discovery protocols are allowed?

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Bogdan,

As we discussed in the other thread, as per my understanding following will be the way to configure jobs for Windows OS and Linux OS servers discovery:

a) Design a new module or leverage the existing module

b) Create a copy for the "Host Resources by WMI" out of the box job to discover Windows OS based servers. Schedule / Activate the job to perform the discovery

c) Create a copy for the "Host Resources by Shell" out of the box job to discover Linux OS based servers. Schedule / Activate the job to perform the discovery

Am I in the right direction now regarding creating the discovery jobs for discovering the infra resources.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello there,

seems legit although I still find a little bit awkward the requirement to discover the machines based on OS type.
Those are 3 valid approaches. 

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Bogdan,

I guess I misunderstood the concept then, as per my understanding as Windows servers can be discovered using WMI protocol and the Linux servers can be discovered using Shell.

That's why my understanding was to schedule 2 jobs - "Host resources by WMI" and "Host Resources by Shell".

Can we club two jobs so that a single job can discover both Windows and Linux servers.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

NT hosts can be discovered by:

• Telnet (avoid it due to security reasons)
  • NTCMD (a little bit more secure than Telnet but with a strong and proven discovery flow)
  • WMI (NT specific with a different discovery flow than NTCMD)
  • PowerShell (NT specific, retrieves data in a different manner than the above options)
  • PowerCmd (a hybrid between NTCMD and PowerShell -  it uses the PowerShell authentication and connection channel with the NTCMD discovery flow - the best approach in my humble opinion)
  • SSH (yes, you can deploy a SSH server on a NT hosts and use for better security, it has the NTCMD discovery flow)
  • SNMP (a possible backup option)

For Unix hosts:

• Telnet (unsecure)
  • SSH (the best option)
  • SNMP (backup option)
  • AS400 (if the OS permits it)
  • Telnet

For "Host resources by WMI" and "Host Resources by Shell" you can alter their trigger TQL so it won't run for hosts that have certain Shell: restrict the WMI TQL to avoid hosts with SSH attached and/or Restrict Resources by shell to avoid hosts with WMI attached.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

HI Bogdan,

I understood the approach, you are suggesting to restrict the WMI TQL to avoid hosts with SSH attached and/or Restrict Resources by shell to avoid hosts with WMI attached.

But I have read in one thread, I can club the 2 jobs one for WMI and one for SSH and configure one job by clubbing 2 jobs and then there will be no need to modify the TQL, as this job can hit every server in infra by WMI and if WMI fails it can try with SSH credentials.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

In the other thread the discussion was about Host Resources by * and Host Application by * which in essence are using the same adapter but with different job parameters.

If you take a look and compare them you will notice the differences. HApps will have the HW related parameters on false. The same parameters will be on true for the HostResources job.

You can use only one of the job with all HW and SW parameters on true and achieve the same discovery results as running both of the jobs.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.