marsella Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Experiences with aging ...

Hello everyone,

I would like many to participate, based on the experience of aging, what problems they have faced, what benefits they have had.
-Is it really useful?
-How to define if it really should be activated or not?
-Was necessary cis erased? How to handle businnes service or BA?
-Would they replace the aggin?

Thank you all,

0 Likes
15 Replies
johnc3 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Experiences with aging ...

Without aging you can end up with a bloated topology and it's difficult to tell what's the current topology or how we called it in CM, the actual topology.

Most of the times it can fail during the deletion of aged CIs, it can put some load on the DB.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
popadiyski Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

-Is it really useful?

Yes, of course it is useful, if a server stops existing in the network, you would never delete it, unless is aging enabled. The default aging period is 40 days and you should be caucious, because if for some reason discovery doesn't run for this period of time, you will end up with empty cmdb.

-How to define if it really should be activated or not?

The aging is controlled by "Enable Aging" attribute, which is by default hidden (is set as not visible in ci type manager) plus the discovery adapter properties. If it is true, the aging will check the last access time and if it is older than 20 days, will mark the CI as candidate for deletion. You will be able to get a report for all the candidates for deletions and if CIs, which shouldn't be there are there, to fix the issues. 

enable_aging_att.PNG
-Was necessary cis erased? How to handle businnes service or BA? 

All business CIs have enable aging set to false if they are manually created. Aging will not run for them and they will never be deleted.

-Would they replace the aggin?

If you want aging to be turned on or off for certain discovery adapter, you should check the discovery adapter settings:enable_aging_disc.PNG

Regards,

Petko

Likes are appreciated!
Honored Contributor.

Thanks,

Any recommendation in Aging settings:

I have indicated the last option, do you know the use or what does it mean?
AGGING.PNG

Honored Contributor.

Hi Petko,
My concern is not whether the business service or business application is eliminated, my doubt is in the relationship between the businnes service, business application or ci collection and the node.
This is the elimination that worries me about aging.

containment.PNG

Note: If aging erases this relationship, I think I should be able to eliminate Execution Enviroment relations, between Virtual Machine and Virtualization Layer Software...?

Regards,

Marsella

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

HI Marsella, 

I've explained above how aging works. In this example Enable Aging is set to 'false', therefore the relationship will never be deleted by aging.

The blackout period defines when the aging to run in order not to additionally load the database.

Petko

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
ucmdb2019
Member.

Hi Petko,

The blackout period defines when the aging to run in order not to additionally load the database. 

Taking into account the previous definition, it is advisable to enable this option in true? by default it is in false

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

I do believe there is no need to enable this option. In normal situations UCMDB doesn't age so many CIs to slow down the work of the whole system. But if you really have big UCMDB installation of 40+ million CIs, a blackout period may be considered.

Petko

Likes are appreciated!
Aayush56 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Petko,

I have a question as you said that Business CIs have enable aging is set to false and i checked in my environment it is set to false but recently most of Business application CI got deleted and i have a clue that they are deleted because of aging.

Also these CI are imported through excel via excel integration so if any CI is created through excel they are enable for aging as this is the second time it is happening.

Regards

Ayush

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Ayush, your default value was overwritten by the adapter settings. Change the XLS adapter and you will get all the XLS imported CIs with aging stopped. 

XLS.PNG

If you import Infrastructure and Business CIs with Excel, maybe you have to copy the XLS adapter and create a new one, with enable aging set differently.

Likes are appreciated!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.

Thanks. i hope it will work

Regards

Ayush

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

IT Systems don't work on the basis of hope. IT Systems work based on logic rules, which in this case are also clearly documented.

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Hello Aayush56,

I hope please share us the results obtained. Thanks

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Results are as same as it were earlier but found the solution as told by Petko, this will resolve my problem also.

Thanks Petko.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

How to build a report of all cis (Node) that have been eliminated by aging does not matter the time.
This already exists? Would I have to export everything and make the filter?

Thanks,

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.