Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Few questions on discovered CITs and DB discovery

Jump to solution

Hi,

i have some queries as below.

1 . what is differnce between Running software CIS and Installed software CIs.

2. For some hosts , there was no RUNNING Software items. In what cases, no Running software CIs detected.

3. For sql and oracle discovery, which CIs entered in Running software CIT and which would be in nstalled software.

4.  How oracle and SQL databases are discovered

I want to know the details of  how the database discovery takes place  at backend

with regards,

NICK

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Few questions on discovered CITs and DB discovery

Jump to solution

Hi Nick,

About your questions:

Ad 1. 

Installed Software CIs represent binaries installed on the system - this is what you can find in "Add/Remove Rrograms" on Windows or in RPM repository on RedHat.

Running Software on the other hand, represent complex software components which provide specific functions, like application servers, database instances, agents, etc. Each Running Software element has its configuration, resources, and so on. One Running Software is represented by one or more processes running on machine. For example Oracle Database (which is Running Software) is represented by a set of processes (pmon, log writer, ...), configuration files, it also provides db tables as well as other resources to users. You can have multiple instances of Oracle on single server - each one is represented by a single CI.

Ad 2.

There are three main reasons why there is no Running Software items on some hosts:

- Wrong permissions - Discovery is not being able to detect them, becuse it can't execute some commands or similar problem

- No Running Software on host - this is quite normal situation for workstations.

- Specific Environment - Discovery is being able to detect most standard components, like DBs, J2EE servers, but it fails to discover custom software. If you developed your own software for example in python, than you'll have to configure Discovery to detect it

Ad 3.

As I told eariler. Each Oracle instance is being represented by single Oracle CI (Running Software -> Database -> Oracle), whose Name is equal to Oracle SID.

Installed Software would be Oracle binaries installed. It's sometimes prolematic to see all packages, since Oracle uses its own installer, not standard os installer.

Ad 4.

All Running Software can be detected using Application Signatures - during Host discovery, DDM checks if specific processes run on the system, and creates coresponding CIs.

There are also other ways to detect DBs, like direct SQL Connection to instance. You should check Conent Pack documentation for more details.

regards

Gregory/

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Nick,

1. I explain to my folks that Running Software is more of Enterprise application type of software. If you look at it you will find Databases, Microsoft Exchange, etc....

2. Installed software being more of software used by individual systems or users..i.e.Microsoft Office, Winzip, Patches, NIC drivers, etc...

3. I usually find systems that dont have running software, either don't have it installed or permissions with Host Resources and Applications by SHell or SNMP is the issue.

4. as far as SQL items found inside Installsoftware there seem to be alot of help files, individual client files, patches, etc.... I think this comes back to my statement in line 2.

5. As far as Oracle items. there seem to be alot of help files, individual client files, Toad for Oracle... I think this comes back to my statement in line 2 as well.

6. We are uising multiple Discovery Jobs under Database in the Discovery Control Panel to discover the SQL and Oracle. We have a service account that is used for these discoveries.

Hope some of this helps

Roger
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Nick,

About your questions:

Ad 1. 

Installed Software CIs represent binaries installed on the system - this is what you can find in "Add/Remove Rrograms" on Windows or in RPM repository on RedHat.

Running Software on the other hand, represent complex software components which provide specific functions, like application servers, database instances, agents, etc. Each Running Software element has its configuration, resources, and so on. One Running Software is represented by one or more processes running on machine. For example Oracle Database (which is Running Software) is represented by a set of processes (pmon, log writer, ...), configuration files, it also provides db tables as well as other resources to users. You can have multiple instances of Oracle on single server - each one is represented by a single CI.

Ad 2.

There are three main reasons why there is no Running Software items on some hosts:

- Wrong permissions - Discovery is not being able to detect them, becuse it can't execute some commands or similar problem

- No Running Software on host - this is quite normal situation for workstations.

- Specific Environment - Discovery is being able to detect most standard components, like DBs, J2EE servers, but it fails to discover custom software. If you developed your own software for example in python, than you'll have to configure Discovery to detect it

Ad 3.

As I told eariler. Each Oracle instance is being represented by single Oracle CI (Running Software -> Database -> Oracle), whose Name is equal to Oracle SID.

Installed Software would be Oracle binaries installed. It's sometimes prolematic to see all packages, since Oracle uses its own installer, not standard os installer.

Ad 4.

All Running Software can be detected using Application Signatures - during Host discovery, DDM checks if specific processes run on the system, and creates coresponding CIs.

There are also other ways to detect DBs, like direct SQL Connection to instance. You should check Conent Pack documentation for more details.

regards

Gregory/

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi  Rlbayne/Gregory,

Thanks for the detailed information for mentioned queries.

with regards,

NICK

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.