Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Fibre Channel Switch discovery

Hi,

when UD discovers switches by Host Connection by SNMP how does it determine whether a switch is just a normal switch or if its a fiber channel switch?

In UCMDB i've found that all our fibre channel switches are showing as switches not fibre channel switches. As I'll need to load HDS data manually for how the servers use our SANs I was at least hoping UCMDB could determine our fibre channel switches without having to manually add them in as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: Fibre Channel Switch discovery

Host Connection by SNMP uses the devices' System Object ID to identify the vendor, model and subtype of net device

Here is a list of System Object Identifiers and their models

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/Configipedia/List+of+discoverable+network+devices

You may have to add a rule for a device who's System Object Identifier is not in the normalization rules.

Are these Brocades?

Rey Lejano

effectualsystems.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Rey,

Yes these are Brocade switches. Not sure of their models but I have had confirmation that they are Brocade switches. So I'm guessing I need to update the Normalisation rules in order to determine these are Brocade switches based upon the system object IDs you provided in your previous post.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Dave,

Content Pack 19 was released last week and it supports Brocade Storage Switch discovery with SMI-S

The job can also discover the storage fabric, switch, host, fibre channel ports

Rey Lejano

effectualsystems.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Rey,

Thanks for the update. My only problem is that we are still using v10.20 so the highest CP I can deploy is CP16.01. At the moment there is no current plan to go to v10.22 due to our desktop estate still uses Windows XP and hence java v8 cant be installed so we've not been able to move to either v10.21 or v10.22.

Thanks

Dave

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.