Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

High level report of data flow in and out of SAS enviornment

Hi Experts,

I have a requirement to generated a pdf showing a complete data flow of the SAS enviornment.

Complete data flow meaning -all SAS data flows from web requests, load balancers, firewall, n/w switches DB's etc.

I have a complicated architecture diagram and trying to see from where to start.

Request your thoughts on how to proceed with this.

Thank You.

Regards

Mathew

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: High level report of data flow in and out of SAS enviornment

Hi,

I don't believe there's an out of the box package for this. Unless someone from R&D or a customer is willing to help. Why not ask around on the Live Net and perhaps tomorrow during the DDM/UD practitioner's forum? Jody'll know someone maybe. He's got notes and contacts going back decades.

Anyway, without an OOB solution I would get started with an inventory from your ops team with regard to servers in use in various environments (DTAP etc), get you a list of IPs and host names, get access on all target hosts (SSH, WMI, NTCMD), as well as network infra (SNMP access most likely). Get an SME to tell you what SAS processes and configuration files to look for. Adjust applicationsSignatures.xml as needed. Run basic discovery on targets and build up a forward command post or whatever you want to call it, identifying everything supporting your SAS business application or business service. From there I would look at accessing network infra over SNMP. See if you can link up MACs and IPs with out of the box layer 2 discovery. Follow up with linking applications to server nodes, database discovery (get shell/SQL access), etc.

The gist of what I'm trying to get across is that you need something to make something. I'd start with basic host, application, layer2 and ports discovery. Take it from there. You'll just have to have the SME sit next to you from time to time to identify stuff. 

Good luck.

Cheers,

Rutger

PS. Chris Satterthwaite has great tooling for doing advanced application discovery with UCMDB/UD/DDMa. I mean, seriously, it'd always be worth your while to have a chat with him. Even if only to use him as a sounding board 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: High level report of data flow in and out of SAS enviornment

Hi Rutger,

Thank you so much for the heads up and information on starting with SAS. I will also check on Live Net.

Regards

Mathew

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.