Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

History Reporting within UCMDB

Dear all,

A lot of customers are asking about UCMDB capabilities for history reporting. Espescially within the financial / banking industry, it is often required to be able to show e.g. the status of the infrastructure on a selected cutoff date in the past.

So far it seems to me, that this is only possible based on views and scheduled snapshots.

Problems here:

• If the auditor requests a date, which is not covered by a snapshot, the customer has a problem.
  • Views typically do not cover all CIs within the UCMDB, which sometimes is required due to law regulatories.

Do we have any possibilty, to have a look at the CI history (for one, many or all CIs) with a parameterized cutoff date?

Thanks and kind regards,

Tobi

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: History Reporting within UCMDB

Hi, 

For historical value change on attribute values of Node CI Type, you may create the report having following CI Types 

1. Node CIType

2. History Attribute Change CIType

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit S

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi all,

Thanks for your inputs. Had a look at it, but it's not really the thing, the customers are looking for (though it is going into the right direction).

To make it clear: It is not about getting the changes for a certain timeframe - it si about getting the exact value of an CI on a fixed date in the past.

Example:

01.01.2019: CI with all of it's attributes is in the CMDB.

During the year, there are several changes on the CI attributes.

31.12.2019: An auditor comes to the customer and asks about the CI and how it was looking on 01.06.2019 - so the customer has to show them the CI and how it was looking on exactly that date.

The change history can be used as a guideline here, but as it will show all the changes between 01.06.2019 and 31.12.2019 it will mean a lot of effort to filter out the data in order to reproduce the exact state - especially if we are talking about thousands or hundred-thousands of CIs.

So far I tested:

- Using everyday snapshots together with the "Compare Snapshots" report, which somehow does the trick but which is also still uncomfortable to use, as you still have to manually filter out the current values which is only possible after you exported it to an XLS.

- The suggestion from this thread here using the "History Attribute Change" CI Type: Here I have the issue, that as soon as I include this CI Type in the TQL/View, the result is empty - which is clearly not true for my test CIs as there are some changes, but that might also be because I make a mistake here.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

hi again,
Well about 'History Attribute Change' - i doubt it may be used, indeed that CI type remains empty all the time for me, maybe it is something from old versions. About your request - snapshots or, maybe configuration manager, are the only options i think.
Cheers,
Dima
Highlighted

Hello again,

Yes, same with me, the CIT "History Attribute Change" is always count 0. Maybe I am doing something wrong here and as it is federated, this might be realted to some configuration, but at least it is not working on the first try.

At the moment, snapshots seem the only possibility - uncomfortable however, but at least it is working somwhow.

Configuration Manager is definetly no option. Is it still usable and supported? Yes, for sure, but it is based on Flash - said enough. 😉 Hopefully, we get some functionalities from the "old" Configuraton Manager into the new CMS UI in the next releases - there already was a little start with those Compliance-Policies in 2019.02 but as those are based on TQLs as well and at the moment there obviously is no way of achieving the requested functionality with TQLs, I am not too optimistic here.

Kind regards,

Tobi

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Tobi;

History changes will never be available for CIs that are federated (as we don't store them in our database).  I am thinking this would be a good ER for the Idea Exchange:  Allow a 'go back in time to <date> for a given CI' to see the state at that point in time.

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
UCMDB Worldwide Support Lead
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'
Highlighted

You are right about the federated CIs (which is clear somehow), but I am not talking about federated CIs for the given use-case. 😉

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.