Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

How do you use Config Manager?

Hi!

We have had our Config Manager server installed 2 years now, in the beginning we were not focusing on it and we had some issues that HP had to solve as well.

Lately I have been trying to use it. There have been/and are a struggle. Strange issues with attributes like NodeRole not working, it was not visible in actual state (even if it had a value) and not possible to authorize and of course quite hard to see what he complained about since nothing seems to differ but finally I found it was NodeRole (seems to be an issue with stringlist (same problem with applicationservertype attribute on jboss as). Solution = unmanange the attributes.

Other problems is with stuff not present in the history. So I have been forced to delete things in actual state so it is discovered again. 

Another issue in uCMDB with sgpackage not discovered as it should (last access time not updated = aged out after 10 days and after that it is rediscovered). This caused views with ServiceGuardpackets to alert me all the time on "new" sgpackages (We have a solution and a defect is opened)...

Well, that was just a couple of problems that we have had and some of them are still there.

However, I just wanted some ideas of real usage of Config Manager. How are you using it? Can you give me some examples? I know how to use the baselines and so on but finds it a little bit hard do find really good business usage of Config.

Change Management could of course be a potential customer (when Config is working as it should).

Nice if you could share some examples from your business.

Wbr / Fredrik Linderoth

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How do you use Config Manager?

Hello Fredrik,

I see you have multiply issues with Configuration Manager (CM). That described behavior is possible to happen in some circumstances after applying updates or reinstalling uCMDB.
In case no history is presented you can try the following:

1. Open JMX-console
2. Click on UCMDB:service=Topology Search Services
3. Press oppression reindex and fill the following parameters within
Customer ID: 1
4. Click on the “Invoke” button

Please check out that knowledge document http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00728236 . It relay looks relevant to your situation and explains another solution.

I have a request to you. Would you mind posting there some details about your solution regarding to “unmanange the attributes”? I am a bit curious to read some details about.

HP uCMDB Configuration Manager can be very useful. With a few clicks you can set up the following capabilities: configure audits, identify servers with nonstandard configurations, monitor undesired changes to their applications and systems, and report on configuration policy breaches. A very good examples and suggestions about uCMDB Configuration Manager can be found in HP Live Network (for example, https://hpln.hp.com/group/universal-cmdb-configuration-manager)

Best Regards,
Nikola

------------------------
Nikola Todorov
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Re: How do you use Config Manager?

Yes, I know about the workaround to run the Offline Analysis from the jmx-console but I guess it´s not possible to schedule it in some way... Must be a bug or?

Well, from what I understood there seems to be some kind of problem with the stringlists like NodeRole for a Node an applicationservertype for jboss AS. And since I don´t really need this 2 attributes to be managed I´d just unmanaged them in Ci-type manager. I can mail you our ServiceRequest number if you have access to it?

I will look for some examples of the usage on the link you send.

Wbr / Fredrik
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.