Outstanding Contributor.. Fayaz_Ahmad Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

How to control on CI discovery

Jump to solution

Dear UCMDB experts,

We have discovered the V-Center then ESX hosts.

it discovers the servers under ESX hosts auto, we dodnot want the application to discover these virtual machines running under these ESX host!

How to acheive it?

we want to discover some virtual machines by installing the UD agent on them, which is working fine..

Kindly suggest.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Aayush56 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: How to control on CI discovery

Jump to solution

Hi Fayaz,

I too faced this issue where i was able to get the VDI host in my environment. I resolved this by following these steps.

GO to the job 

see the properties of that there you can see that discoverunknown ips are there and it is marked as true. Make it as false and save the job.

Ofcourse you need to exclude those ips from the data flow probe otherwise this will not work.

Regards 

Ayush

0 Likes
8 Replies
johnc3 Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

You could alter the discovery script so you don't model in the result vector the VMs. This change will be overwritten everytime you upgrade the CP version.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Fayaz,

I too faced this issue where i was able to get the VDI host in my environment. I resolved this by following these steps.

GO to the job 

see the properties of that there you can see that discoverunknown ips are there and it is marked as true. Make it as false and save the job.

Ofcourse you need to exclude those ips from the data flow probe otherwise this will not work.

Regards 

Ayush

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

In the past, we had a validateIP step which was checking if the IP of a VM was or wasnțt in the IP probe ranges, The idea was that if an IP address is not in the probe ranges then it can't be triggered in discovery so it wasn't a useful IP address hence we didn't add it in the result vector. Over time we noticed that this wasn't a good approach as IP address is used in the OOTB identification rules so we saw nodes being merged because we didn't have all the IP address CIs linked to them. 

Somewhere around 10.22 CP18 (if I remember correctly) the validateIP class was altered so we report all the IP address CIs. I think you are referring to the parameter discoverUnknownIPs which was introduced in --> with https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/QCCR1H101512

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Yes i was refering to the parameter discoverUnknownIPs but as you said for merging the CI if i choose this option and mark as false then also it will merge the CIs.

Regards

Ayush 

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Hi Ayesh,

Thanks for your response.

I have updated in the job properties discoverunknown ips to true and it solved my issue.

Thank you.

Regards

Fayaz

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Thanks John.

Thank once again for the LINK.

the issue is fixed now.

0 Likes

Jump to solution

sorry

discoverUnknownIPs to false

0 Likes
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

Glad that it works now.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.