Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

How to create the link between Business Application to Node and/or Running Software

QUESTION1

We have some issues in creation of the link between the Business Application and Node (or/and Running Software). In the beginning we manually created the link from the Business Application and the Running Software (like Business Application A – Jboss A).

Having manually created links is no good but I guess the link between Business Application and Node (or/and Running Software) has to be manual in someway. Or if you have some attribute on the node (running software) that tells you which Business Application it belongs to. Or if you use some kind of integration with some other system that tells you that ServerA, ServerB, ServerC, RunningsSoftware1, RunningsSoftware2, RunningSoftware3 belongs to Business Application.

Do you have any ideas/knowledge how customers usually solve this relation?

QUESTION2

Another big issue for us (and I guess so that we can have some use of impact rules) is the relations between Business Application and Business Application.  We are running WebSphere MQ and almost all of our communication between systems are using this product to send and receive data. Unfortunately it is kind of a BLACK HOLE for us. We can see that Application A is talking with MQ but we can´t see that it is sending messages to Application B. We can just see that MQ is talking with Application B.  I think the use of Impact Analysis is useful for us only when we can see which other Business Application that are impacted when we are doing service on Business Application A.

In the beginning we sat down with people responsible for Business Application A and they told us which other Business Application they  used or was used of (which way the communication went). So we manually created relations between business Application and business Application. But this is NO good either. At first the responsible for every Business Application had a login to uCMDB and had the rights to maintain this by themselves, but since uCMDB has so weak audit logs they were not allowed to login to the system (and I really don´t think they  logged in anyway) and we are not informed when there are changes in this relations.

Do you have any ideas/knowledge how customers usually try to solve this?

We have struggled with uCMDB a couple of years now and have hard times to defend its existence. Haven´t saved us any money yet I´m afraid…

Which are the customers main use of uCMDB and Configuration Manager? Can anyone give us some new ideas? 

Sure, we have had some value from it occasionally but if we are talking value for money we are loosing!
(reports on servers not patched, how many jboss do we have - levels..., servers listening on strange ports...

Wbr / Fredrik

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor.

Re: How to create the link between Business Application to Node and/or Running Software

Hi,

Regarding the first question there are 2 methods:

1.Containment relationship is automatically created by creating an instance based model and dragging the desired nodes and running software to the model.

2.Manually create containment relationship between Business application and Node using relate to CI.

If all methods fail please provide the error log in order to investigate what goes wrong. Also please mention the UCMDB version.

Regarding the UCMDB Configuration Manager main use. Configuration Manager is basically installed on top of UCMDB. It is mainly used to set up standards/policies for the IT infrastructure and create an almost perfect IT infrastructure by using authorization and policies.

Ex in CM one can create policies that tell what computers have more than 4GB of RAM. Then one can choose to authorize all those Cis/systems that have at least 4GB of RAM. By authorizing those Cis they are moved/copied to the authorized state. By doing this in the authorized state will have all the IT infrastructure that fulfill the policy set standard. In the same manner we can have computers that have x number of CPU or we can have standard for all running software named x to have latest version. This way one may know what needs improvement. SM integration can create requests for change and by using them all the entire IT infrastructure of the customer can have the same configuration or at least customer knows exactly that is ok and what needs to be changed.

Also in CM the entire IT infrastructure can be seen in an friendlier way. CM by using triplets displays business model on levels and with only the main Cis.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Razvan Bolocan.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How to create the link between Business Application to Node and/or Running Software

Hi,

The two issues you mentioned can be perfectly addressed by the ASM (Automated Service Modeling) feature, which was introduced in 10.20.

The relationship between Business Application and Running Software can be created automatically now.

You also don't have to create direct relationship between Business Applications. With ASM, you should be able to see a service topology like this:

Business Application A -> Running Software A - > IBM MQ <- Running Software B <- Business Application B

I would suggest you try ASM in your test environment first. Please don't forget to apply the ASM Enhanced package, which is available on HPLN.

If you have issues/questions on using ASM, please approach our product management team. They will involve R&D if necessary.

Thanks,

Bai-Ling

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Hi there!

I actually joined a webinar yesterday which showed the ASM feature.

However I guess you need some starting point which kind of link the Business Application and Running Software (or Node or whatever). In their examples they started with a URL. I guess when you do that in ASM a link is created between the Business Application and URL. And perhaps later on, depending on which relations the URL has you get nodes and other running software linked (or if not linked they are showed because of the link to the URL) to the Business Application as well.

Regareding MQ:

"Business Application A -> Running Software A - > IBM MQ <- Running Software B <- Business Application B"

Well, the problem is that MQ is a BLACK HOLE. We can see that Business Application A is talking with MQ and we can se that Business Applicatin B is talking with MQ, but and this is the most important thing, we can´t see that Business Application A is "talking" with Business Applicaton B, it can instead be Business Application C or Business Application D....

So, in this cases ASM will of course not help us (and I understand that I can´t blame ASM for it, since we don´t get the hole path from the discovery)

Wbr / Fredrik

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.