Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

How to identify the primary ip server if the ucmdb discovers me many

Regards,

End users and even me, I can not identify the primary ip of the discovered servers, there are cases where a server has up to 10 ips, I find ips v4 or ipv6 monocast.
I have tried the following:
1) Filter or make the relationship between server and ip 's that have been discovered only by the Job of Range ip by ICMP, this has reduced me a lot since there are many ips that were created by the VMware job and really do not know if you are ips are those of management. With this filter I already have many servers with a single ip and several servers with a maximum of 3 ips (discovered by Range ip by ICMP)
this brings me to a second revision:
2) There is a field in the server called NodeKey and it is observed that this is filled with the value of an ip, how does it fill this field if there are servers with more than one ip?

I also want to understand the description of the Node Key field:

Unique string identifying the specific node (On complete nodes this value will hold the smallest MAC address of the node and on non-complete nodes this value will hold node_ip Probe domain)

2.1) Why is the Primaryipadress field not filled automatically?

If I am making the correct revisions?

Thanks in advance,

0 Likes
20 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: How to identify the primary ip server if the ucmdb discovers me many

Hello Marsella,

currently we have only the Inventory by scanner discovery job that will populate the attribute primary_ip.

There is an Enhancement Request to have this also for Host Connection by *

https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/QCCR1H102864

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

That is both funny and sad.  I spent multiple hours talking about the same topic internally. While the concept of primary IP exists in operation, there is no such thing in networking.

In most cases, primary IP is one where operation need to connect from. Should it be a management or production leg?

Another example that easy to understand is when your laptop connected to the router both with WIFI and Ethernet. Which of IPs will be primary? A more complex example is with NIC teaming, which IP will be a primary one? 🙂

We implemented this by population an IP added to a probe IP range for our operation folks. But the limitation of the approach is only one IP should be in range...

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi johnc3, thanks for your contribution.

Two comments:
1) Is it possible to identify which job fills me with the attributes of a CI?
2) This enhancement request takes more than a year to be created, and several versions have already passed 10.33. 11, 2018.xx Who keeps track of this? or how to get in contact and request information?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Gomel, thanks for sharing.

that is, the primary ip is usually associated with the management ip, although they are not always the same, or what is done is to request or recommend to the area of networks that the management ip be equal to the loopback ip.
It is complex where there are clients that do not have a management network / vlan.
You can explain a little more what you say at the end:
We implemented this by population an IP added to a probe IP range for our operation folks. But the limitation of the approach is only one IP should be in range ...

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

1. generic question, please be more specific

2. the ER was created in 2015 actually and it's quite requested. You can mention it maybe in a submission on Idea Exchange

The old approach was to open a Support case and request for you to be added as a requestor to this ER. Now with Idea Exchange I don't know if the flow changed or not. You can give it a try, it's free.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Dima, the concept of primary_ip is that it's flagged as the primary route as in your example of both wireless and ethernet connection being active on the same host in the same time.

In Windows the primary_ip is collected from a particular registry entry where all IPs are listed but only one has the special flag of primary. If needed I can dig up the information.

In Unix world the information (if I remember correclty) is retrieved from route output or ifconfig where we have a similar flag only for the IP which is primary.

NIC teaming is something different and it's actually a form of etherchannel, they have a completely different scope and behavior hence we can't talk there of a primary IP.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Bogdan,

I would highly appreciate if you could help me find a definition of the primary IP from a networking perspective. 🙂

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

I can offer only the CMS definition. It's up to you how you will use it and in what context. 

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

I want to know what jobs populate me all the attributes that have a ci (properties)

ci.PNG

you indicate that only the Inventory by scanner discovery job that will populate the attribute primary_ip.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

I use an Enrichment that gets about 80% of the servers in my environment... It's not perfect, but it works if the hostname/DNS are the same.

TQL: computer -> Join (Computer: PrimaryDNSname = IpAddress:AuthoritativeDnsName)  ->IpAddress

Enrichment Action on Computer CI: Update
Set Attributes:
       PrimaryIPAddress = IpAddress:AuthoritativeDnsName

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

It's OK for a small set of CIs but for a lot of CIs it will have a big foot print on the server performance. It's a longer discussion on how enrichmentes were designed and how they ended up in being used.
I would be very curios if you could translate TQL to a normalization rule. If the enrichment runs on CIs from discovery or integrations that bring CIs through a probe then it will be effective.
A normalization rule runs on each probe so the CI changes are decentralized. The result vector sent to the server is already in the desired form so there will be only 1 data-in cycle not 2 as we have for enricments (1st for data comming from probes, the 2nd for the same CIs but after they are altered by the enrichments). Each data-in flow means identification(recon), sql queries, history, Solr indexing/update, etc..
Normalization rules don't need an active TQL which is frequently calculated so the UCMDB server is free for other tasks.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.