Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

How to import multiple excel spreadsheets from a folder

Jump to solution

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at how to extend the OOTB discovery\Integration job for Importing XLS spreadsheets to be able to import multiple spreadsheets from a dedicated folder location rather than just one at a time. Is there already an ability to do this or do I need to still look into altering the OOTB code for import_from_excel.py and xlsutils.py?

I've already taken a copy of the OOTB adapter and been having a look at modifying the jython code. I've got as far as looking at a specific folder location, loop through all the files but each time I try to return the output only one excel file is ever returned. I cant seem to get the logic right for being able to get say 4 excel files returned if they exist in the folder location.

Any thoughts, ideas or advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to import multiple excel spreadsheets from a folder

Jump to solution

Dave;

I have submitted an ER for this.

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
UCMDB Worldwide Support Lead
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Dave;

The adapter uses one and only one spreadsheet at a time.  Import each one in a separate integration point.

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Keith,

The only down side to that approach is that would mean having many integration points and we dont have a definitive amount of service model spreadsheets at the moment. We already have about 20 Spreadsheets so you can imagine this already starts to get quite large and messy if I need to create that many integration points when I could just change it to look in one place to import many spreadsheets at the same time.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Dave;

I understand the use case.  I would put a single spreadsheet at a time in the same integration point and use a process to upload them.  There is no way to make the excel integration point read multiple files at the current time.  I could log an Enhancement Request if you would like.

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
Micro Focus Support

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi Keith,

I think it might be a useful addition to UCMDB if you could import multiple spreadsheets or CSV files. Most of the time you want to be using discovery to find most things but on times the excel import is required. So if you could import more than one that would certainly be useful in our environment 🙂

Thanks,

Dave

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Dave;

I have submitted an ER for this.

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
Micro Focus Support

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.