Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

ID vs global ID

Hi ,

What is the difference between iD vs Global ID in ucmdb properties.

Are they having the same value all the time or they can have different values too.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: ID vs global ID

Hi there,

the cmdbID is local to that UCMDB instance and it will be created prior to the DB dataIn. Starting from UCMDB 10.30 we have a different algorithm to create it but the same principles apply.

The globalID is different from the cmdbID. Only a GlobalIDGenerator UCMDB will populate this attribute. By default, no UCMDB is globalIDGenerator. This attribute is used when you have a bigger CMS topology like an OMi which integrates with a UCMDB or another RTSM (APM/OMi). Across this multiple UCMDB instances (counting also the RTSM ones) you will have for the same synched CI different cmdbIDs, each one created by the UCMDB where it resides. On the entire architecture, you will need to have an ID for the same CI over all of the UCMDB instances. Here comes the globalID into the picture.

The globalID will be generated only by the UCMDB instance which is configured from JMX as globalIDGenerator, the rest of the UCMDB instances need to be on false with this setting. 

It"s very unlikely that they will have the same value, in theory, we don't restrict globalID to be a match for a local cmdbID. The globalID and cmdbID will be the same only if the globalID and cmdbID were generator on the same UCMDB instance.

When you promote a UCMDB instance to GlobalIDGenerator status then it will create the same globalID from the existing cmdbID.

If you have a CI with different values for globalID and cmdbID then that CIs was created from an integration from another UCMDB which is globalIDgenerator.

Kind regards,

Bogdan

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Thanks Bogdan,

But a strange thing i can see in my environment that is Global Id is blank for composition relationship between HOST -->Interface.  I try to scan again but the same happen that is it is having the id but not the Global ID but for the same CI when i checked the containment it is having both the values.

2)  In DB if i want to check that ID instead of global ID then how can i check that.

Regards

Ayush 

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi 

Attaching the Screenshot for better understnading. In this i just deleted the CI and again scanned it by Host Connection  by shell and in this Global id is not there but the ID is there. But this is only for composition not for others

UCMDB 10.32 CP25

Regards

Ayush 

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

The GlobalID attribute is empty hence your UCMDB instance is not a GlobalIdGenerator. This is normal behavior.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

HI Bogdan,

Ok but if i want to create global id in the ucmdb instance for the composition relationship what should i need to do because my customer is extarcting the data from the Database for some activity and he is not able to find the global ID over there.

I thought of using the ID instaed of GLobal ID but i havn't found any table coulmn that in DB.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

In short words this is by design 🙂 .

10.10 supports 60 milions CIs. One of the changes to achieve these was to modifiy the CDM_Composition table .

Instead of storing all of these relations in the CDM_COMPOSITION_1 table we now store them in the end2 CI’s CDM table and save only cmdb_id of the relation and the cmdb_id of the end1 CI of the relation.
The reason was that these relations were almost always created without properties and for each connected CI of type node element there should be only one composition link connecting it to a node.

There are still composion links which are still saved in CDM_COMPOSITION_1 table like: node -> database or shell.
But composition links like node -> cpu/ interface/ process/ installed software are called* inline composition links *and are saved in the child table(cpu etc) without properties(just id) . So are not saved in CDM_COMPOSITION_1 table.

This is valid also for the Global_id attribute. It's not recommended to fetch data directly from the DB, you will have surprises.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.