Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

IP addresses not being selected for discovery

I have a list of servers that are not being discovered.  I checked the trigger query and they are not being picked up in the query.  Looking at the query, it looks like they should be selected but they are not.  Here is the list of servers and their IP addresses.

I am just wondering if there is anything else I can check to see why these IP addresses are not being selected for discovery. 

I have attached some print screens showing what I am seeing.

Thanks for any help!

Karriane

0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: IP addresses not being selected for discovery

Hi Karriane,

I do not find the screenshots. Could you please upload them again? 

Also, try to run the discovery for a few ip's and send us the Communication log along with the uCMDB version.

Regards,

Unni

“Micro Focus Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”

Click the KUDOS star to say 'Thanks'
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Do the IP address CIs have a value for 'IP Probe Name' ?

Maybe the addresses are discovered by other jobs, but not actually in the probe config file ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes all the  IPs have the IP Probe Name populated.

Here is the attachment

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I can't get the attachment to save  I have tried several times to attach it and it won't save.  I am trying one more time

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ok - I can't get the attachment to upload so I will try to give a step-by-step of what I looked at when trying to determine why the IPs are not appearing to be selected for discovery in the Host Connection by Shell discovery job.

UCMDB version 10.01 CUP 4, UD Content Pack 12

1. I checked to see if I could search for the IP addresses by selecting the link to view the Total CIs that were processed.  I entered a specific IP address into the Look for: box and clicked on the magnifier button to search.  No results were returned for the IPs entered.

2. I then checked the Trigger Query and I saw that the IP address CI is looking to verify that the IP Probe Name is not null and that the IP is Broadcast is either False or Null.  This is the out-of-the-box trigger query so no changes have been made to how the selection is made.

3. I ran the "calculate" on the Trigger query and view the Instances.  None of the IP addresses that I am searching for appeared in the list of selected IPs.

4. I then ran a TQL querying the IP addresses that I are missing and they all have a Probe Name populated and the IP is Broadcast is Null.

Sorry, this isn't quite as easy to describe as showing with pictures so I am sorry that I can't get the attachment with the print screens to upload.

thanks for any suggestions.

Karriane  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

and if you right-click on the IP CI and select 'Actions' -> Add to discovery job then select the Host Connection job ? Does it work?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, I can manually add the IP to the discovery but if I stop and restart for any reason, I need to manually re-add.

thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

We are also having this issue where some of the IP address CI are not being selected as a trigger and as result discovery of these servers never happen unless IPs are added manually.

1. Is there any way to resolve this issue. clearing cache on discoveyr jobs, clearing probe data, stop/start discovery jobs ?

2. Can we get the report of IP addresses which are being selected as a trigger for Host Connection by Shell job ?

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit S

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

The decision to add the trigger CI is based on two TQLs. One is a trigger TQL you could find on Discovery Job level. Another one is an Input TQL that could be found on adapter level. Press right click on the discovery job, choose go to adapater. Check that conditions on Input TQL not contradict Trigger TQL. Hope this helps.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Dmitry Gomel,

So in that case for particular IP to be selected as a trigger (let say for Host connection by Shell job), I believe same IP Address is required to present in the output of both Input TQL and Trigger TQL then what contradiction will be there between these 2 TQLs which will not allow IP to be not selected as trigger.

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit S

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.