Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Impact analysis on more critical services only

Is there a way to create an impact analysis rule affecting services with higher priority only? We have here multiple levels of related services and each of them have different Business Criticality values. Since less critical services are less important, I don't want to impact them when a more critical service is affected. I cannot find a way to compare a field value in a TQL (greater than, lower than, ... only equals is available). Any idea?

Steve

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Re: Impact analysis on more critical services only

Yes, as part of the HP CMS Online Expert Days we just had a presentation on Creating Useful Impact Rules for HP UCMDB, Browser, and Release Control

You can read about useful impact rules, watch a video and download impact rules here

http://effectualsystems.com/ucmdb-impact-analysis-creating-useful-impact-rules-hp-browser-release-control/

Rey Lejano

effectualsystems.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

I know how to make impact rules but I just don't know how to compare two integer values except for equility...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

stx9,

Where do you intend to have these impact rules consumed? In the UCMDB Application/IT Universe, Release Control, UCMDB Browser?

Erik

effectualsystems.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hello,

So if I am understanding you correctly. You want different impact rules with different severity ratings for the same CI type.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

In our case, the result of the impact analysis is displayed in Release Control, the uCMDB browser and also in Service Manager (done by calling a Web Service to the uCMDB server).

Steve

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Omar, I want to stop propagation based on business criticality.

I see using different impact rules with different severity ratings for the same CI type as a workaround. With just 4 criticalities, I can create 4 rules in order to do the trick:

1- Parent service with criticality > 1 and child service with criticality of 1

2- Parent service with criticality > 2 and child service with criticality of 2

3- Parent service with criticality > 3 and child service with criticality of 3

4- Child service with criticality of 4

With 10 criticalities, I'll need 10 rules...

I basically need to create as many rules as the number of possible criticalities. This is a pain and probably not very efficient. I would prefer been able to create one rule with:

1- Parent service criticality > Child service criticality

but that doesn't seem to be possible...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Steve,

You're correct. I had a lengthy response time out yesterday, sorry for the slow response.

The challenge lies in the fact you have one CI that needs to be consumed with an attribute that lives on a related service CI, and that individual CI contextually might have different criticality based upon the service or consuming perspective that is looking at it. This is not a set of features in UCMDB or Impact Simulation that I am aware of, but a challenge of desinging the outcome you're looking for with TQL, impact definitions and likely enrichments.

We have recently designed a process that elevates the maxmimum criticality of a common CI based upon its relationship to a busines or infrastructure server criticality. For example: 0 is the highest of 4 criticality numbers. CI's needed to inherit the criticality of the business or infrastructure service based upon the most critically rated relationship. So we devised a step ladder process of evaluating the relationship with a TQL and if less than X, make it Y. This means that as relationships to the CI's are added or removed over time, the enrichments will manage an attribute on the related CI's with the most critical value.

If a CI exists in two services, 1 and 2, then 1 will be displayed for the CI.

If the same CI is no longer a part of the level 1 business service, it will be reduced to 2.

If the same CI is no longer a part of a business service, it will be set to unassigned. 

If the same CI is related to a business service with no criticality rating or is in dev, test or qa, it is marked as not critical.

It might be possible to create an impact rule, wherein each rule is the same, including the business service to gather criticality of the service. Impact definitions do allow for evaluation greater or less than a set value such as Critical or 6 Critical. However, the TQL itself doesn't have that grading feature (as you're reporting).

So presumably this impact rule would be X (cicollection, busines app, etc.), related to the object you are defining impact on such as Computer. The Impact definition would be placed on the computer, but look for whether the severity of the CI is equal to or greater/less than Z. This means you could have a number of those rules based upon the criticality, but the Computer won't inherently have a criticality to evaluate. You can see I'm trying to work through this as I write - so I'll pause and make a note to look into this when I have a chance (won't be soon).

I hope this helps and provides some ideas you can pursue.

Erik

effectualsystems.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Thanks Erik for the detailed explanation. We will create multiple rules! I guess I should ask an enhancement request about it. A greater/lower than operator might be useful for that and for other needs too.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.