Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Import CIs from database "root_container"

Jump to solution

Hi experts

In the past we imported CIs from Database in two steps.

1. Define a custom ci_type like 'temp_running_sw' and import all CIs.
2. Create the real CI-Type and its relation to the containert i.e. running software and node.

Now I am working on another approach. In the docs it is mentioned that we can use "root_container" attribute if we can provide the CI-ID of the container (i.e- node).
We have a view on same mssql server containing the ci's to import. In this view I can join the new ci-data with existing CIs in uCMDB/RTSM. i.e. I can join by Node.name.
As a result i put the global_id in a additional column "global_id_node" and try to import sqlserver CIs directly.
Unfortunately without success. I get the following error:

Not enough reconciliation data, [(root_container and connected ci "ip_service_endpoint") or (product_name and root_container) or (discovered_product_name and root_container)] ...

May I need to put additional fields in "root_container" field?
I tried also to put more details in root_container attribute like this: -> without success.

UCMDB%0Aunix%0A1%0Ainternal_id%3DSTRING%3D7cc3c9dfab418f72eb476f4bc483f3c4%0A

Seems i need to provide product_name or discovered_product_name somehow..

Has anyone done this before?

Thank you for your answers!

Kind regards,
Thomas

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Import CIs from database "root_container"

Jump to solution

Update: the import works now. The problem was not the root_container attribute but the missing "discoverd_product_name".

Hope this helps someone else!

Regards, Thomas

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Update: the import works now. The problem was not the root_container attribute but the missing "discoverd_product_name".

Hope this helps someone else!

Regards, Thomas

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hey Thomas,

I guess your custom CIT is under RUnning Software. As result it inhereted Running Software identification rule.

It says: Running Software is identified by a combination of their container Node and either Product Name, Discovered Product Name or a used IP Service Endpoint.  Two similarly identified running software will be considered different entities in case of mismatch of either Product Name, Discovered Product Name or Name.  Two running software CIs will also be different if one of them lack the Name and all used IP Service Endpoints are different.

So, container is must. Software can't live without host. If you know something about the node software runing on, you could push dummy node along with software CIs. Otherwise you need to know UCMDB ID of node you want the software CI will be attached to.

Second attribute is your choice - either Product Name (general category), Discovered Product Name (Specific Product name) or a used IP Service Endpoint (port, the software running on). 

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. That was exactly the case. I was pretty close to the solution.

anyway it works now.

In cases where the relationship must me different thant "composition" I still have no solution.

In example for "cluster_resource_group". Identification rule nees link of type "containment".
So I think this can't be done by database import.

regards, Thomas

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

What adapter is in use?

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.