Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Installed software and running software difference

Hello Experts,

While discovering software on nodes, how ucmdb will differenciate or classify software as InstalledSoftware and RunningSoftware CIs

Regards,
Sridhara.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Hi Sridhara.
I am asking all the Forum community because I did few test few days ago and I could not determinate the difference, because I assume that running software should be the applications running at an specific time that we can see thru the task manager but on my tests it was not so.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

The two are configured separately.  Installed software for Linux would be seen by running rpm -qa.  Running software on Linux would be seen if you ran a ps -e command.

I have successfully configured the installed, but having difficulty with running software even though I have it working on 10.22, but not on 2019.05 (see my post).

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hello Mel.

Please open a support ticket we will more than glad to help you with this problem on the new version.

Best Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Historically, installed software/SAI signatures are created in DDMI / UDI components, while running software signatures are coming from DDMA/UD Full functionality.  In general, the type of data collected is a bit different – the installed software is recognized based on files/package rules, etc. while running software signatures use processes and ports + Jython plug-is (for discovery of more detailed data).

Highlighted

Installed software is discovered from repository like windows installation service, linux rpm , apt

Running software is discovered from process name and listening port.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.