Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Integration with BMC Remedy, the name on the CI differs between Remedy and uCMDB!

We want to enrich our nodes in uCMDB with some information from our BMC Remedy ARS where we have all our hardware registered. 

The problem is that in ucmdb a node is called lx123456 or nt654321, but in BMC Remedy they are named 123456 and 654321. 

Is is possible to make some kind of match in the integration so that 123456 is checked against nodes in uCMDB in some way?

Kind of checking if 123456

is matched against sw123456, nope

is it matched agains lx123456, YES

okey then we add this CI with some new information from BMC Remedy.

We have an integration since before with BMC Remedy but in that case we are only collecting  Business Services and Infrastructure Services and we don´t have them in uCMDB before.

Wbr / Fredrik

0 Likes
13 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Integration with BMC Remedy, the name on the CI differs between Remedy and uCMDB!

Dear Frederik,

Could you please clarify what the real hostname is?

What other information you have for the nodes in BMC (OS, interfaces, IPs resources etc). Could you please show screenshot of properties of the same host in BMC and UCMDB?

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor..

Re: Integration with BMC Remedy, the name on the CI differs between Remedy and uCMDB!

The real host name is lx123456.

In uCMDB the name (and display name) is lx123456.

In BMC Remedy the name is 123456.

I want to enrich the node lx123456 with just some information from BMC and the hardware 123456 (which is the same hardware as lx123456), it´s just that the name setting in BMC differs from the one in ucmdb. 

the name 123456 is unique in BMC and if we have a CI in uCMDB named lx123456, this is the exact match (we don´t have sw123456 or nt123456... the number is unique in ucmdb aswell, just the to characters infront that are added).

Do I need more attributes from BMC to ensure that the match is correct (like ipaddress, OS, interfaces)? I don´t trust this information from BMC since it is manually added. I just want to collect some information regarding location.

So what I need to do is to match the id:s between BMC and uCMDB and when that is done, I want to add information about the location on the CI in uCMDB.

I guess like the integration with SCCM, but the benefit there is that the CI in uCMDB and in SCCM have the same name, like nt654321. In my case the CI in BMC is named 654321.

Wbr / Fredrik

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Hi Fredrik,

I would recommend  adding more attributes like snmpsysname, net_bios_name,bios_serial_number,serial_number,bios_asset_tag, os_family to the node.

And related topology like ip and interface.

This will help the reconciliation engine merge the Ci's even if the name is different.

Let us know if this helped you with the integration.

Regards,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

I agree with Christian. My previous question regarding other attributes you have on BMC side was related to my attempt predict the result of reconciliation. Basically, more info will be provided, the easier will be decision on proper merge.

I also think, question reagarding correctnes of name in BMC could be raised with BMC support ;).

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor..

Ok, I understand!

Perhaps I can try and find some more attributes from BMC that I can collect. It looks as if Serialnumber seems to match correct against uCMDB. Maybe also ipaddress, but I guess I need some more that matches if the name differs.... the problem is that in BMC things are manually typed in and different apartments fills in stuff in their own way...

identification rules for Nodes i uCMDB:

Nodes are identified using OS identifiers (e.g. IP addresses, Net Bios Name) , hardware identifiers (e.g. MAC addresses, Serial Number) or UD Unique identifier (i.e. UdUniqueId).  Two nodes are considered to be the same node if they have the same information for at least one of the following identifiers:

OS identifiers include:

* Name

* 66% of their IP Addresses'

* 66% of their IP Addresses' Authoritative DNS Name

* Net Bios Name

* SNMP System Name

Hardware identifiers include:

* 66% match of their Interfaces' MAC Addresses

* BIOS Serial Number

* BIOS UUID

* Serial Number

* BIOS Asset Tag

Universal identifier is:

* UdUniqueId

Two similarly identified nodes will be always be considered different entities in case of mismatch of one of the following:

* Operation System Family

* Asset Tag of their Assets

* Cluster Resource Group

My hoping was that we in some way could rewrite the name collected from Remedy to the correct one before the identification (or reconciliation) is involved. In some of the config files under the adapter... like in orm.xml or some of the other files that are there.

Perhaps it´s not possible... well, I will try to check the ci:s in BMC one more time and see if I can "trust" any more attributes...

Thx / Fredrik

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Shouldn't you populate BMC with accurate discovery data, instead of trying to push inconsistent data to UCMDB?

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor..

We have used BMC Remedy in several years and all technicians are used to handle it. And we have some information that needs to be handle manually, like in which datacenter and rack a server has its location.

I guess another way would be to have the technicians using uCMDB to fill in this kind of information. But our security department are not special happy with the audit logs in uCMDB which kind of is = none, so they will not let our users use the system right now. Instead we have a couple of administrators that handle reports and so on....

Wbr / Fredrik

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hello,

I've got a very simple solution for you.

On uCMDB side create a custom attribute that will hold the BMC Remedy name. eg. 'BMC Name' (bmc_name)

Create an enrichment rule that will strip the letters in front of the UCMDB names and enrich that new bmc_name attribute with values that match the BMC Remedy.

Configure your integration so that the Name in remedy matches the attribute bmc_name you created on ucmdb side.

Modify the reconciliation rule on the desired CI Types like node.

What you need to add is something that will allow UCMDB to decide that the 2 CIs are the same.
So you need to add something like this:

<validation-criterion priority="1">
    <attribute-condition attributeName="bmc_name" operator="EqualIgnoreCase" includeNullValue="false" conditionType="approveAndContradict"/>
</validation-criterion>

I am using similar approach for SM integration ...

Best Regards,

Nick Tsanov

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor..

Thx Nick!

This sounds like a possible option! I will give it a shot! 

Wbr / Fredrik

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor..

Hi Nick!

I´m waiting for some help from the Remedy administrator to give us access to what we want in Remedy now. Shouldn´t take that long. 

I was just thinking, about the change in the identification rule for Node.

I guess the node from Remedy will still have the Name of 123456 and by adding something like:

<validation-criterion priority="1">
    <attribute-condition attributeName="bmc_name" operator="EqualIgnoreCase" includeNullValue="false" conditionType="approveAndContradict"/>
</validation-criterion>

we want it to be reconciliated with lx123456 in uCMDB (i have of course added 123456 as a bmc_name attritbute on lx123456. 

However, how can I be sure that it is not changing the name in ucmdb from lx123456 to just 123456? Should I lower the Remedy Integration in Reconciliation Priority so it will be lower then for instance ucmdb discovery and NNMi integration? 

Wbr / Fredrik

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hello,

You should configure the integration, so that the Name in BMC will be mapped to the new ucmdb attribute bmc_name.

In other words the name lx123456 in ucmdb will not change. The CI will just be updated with more information and reconciled based on the bmc_name attribute.

Also please share more on the integration method you are using so i can advice you on changing the mapping.

Out of the box there is no integration between ucmdb and bmc remedy. Is it a comunity resource or a custom made for your company ? Currently I cannot really give you advice on how to re-configure the integration and change the mapping.

Regards,
Nick
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.