Highlighted
New Member.

Inventory Discovery on remote workstations

We're installing UD agents on our workstations to begin collecting inventory data.  We have some users that work from home that VPN into the network very infrequently (they frequently need to be readded to our domain).  What is the best route for scheduling scans on these devices and getting the scan results if it is difficult to know the IP of the device?

If I understand call home functionality correctly, we still need to have the IP of the device be in an identified range in order to kick off the inventory scan.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: Inventory Discovery on remote workstations

Hello Adam ,

I hope you are doing well .

We can run the vpn in the moment that has less traffic .

Best Regards ,

Melissa Carranza Mejias
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation. “
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Sorry, I was unclear.  These users rarely use VPN.  We do not want to rely on the VPN. 

After doing some more research it looks like we'd want to deploy an agent along with a scanner scheduler on the remote machines.  The scan would run on the schedule and the scan result would be sent back to either the probe server itself or a store and forward server.  From there the Inventory Discovery by Manual Scanner should pickup the scan results.

Can someone let me know if this is the proper course of action or am I missing something?

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Bump. 

Can someone let me know if setting up a Store and Forward server is the way to go?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.