Highlighted
Regular Contributor.. Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

Inventory discovery by scanner (SW utilization and Disk Device Serial number issues)

I would like to know how to get software utilization without heavy scanning. If I select the scanner configuration to _fastsw.cxz, I do not get the software utilization info. If I select _default.cxz, I do get the info. However, I want to know if there is a lightweight and quicker way to get software utilization. I tried to edit the _fastsw.cxz file to enable the software utilization info option, but it was already enabled.

Also, I am having another issue where many DiskDevice CIs that are discovered by the inventory scanner have 0's as the serial number. The only guess that I can make is that this happens with some of the SSD drives.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Regular Contributor.. Regular Contributor..
Regular Contributor..

Re: Inventory discovery by scanner (SW utilization and Disk Device Serial number issues)

I have found the following info (I don't know how accurate it is):

The UD agent records what processes (as in exe files) are running and for how long. So if it knows what software that exe process is a part of, it can figure out software utilization for that software. For example, if excel.exe is running 5 hours every day and UCMDB knows that excel.exe is a part of the MS Excel software, UCMDB can infer that MS Excel is being utilized 5 hours every day. However, I cannot seem to get software utilization if I don't scan the file path (e.g. C:\Program Files\...\excel.exe) using Inventory Discovery. So if I want to get software utilization, scanning everything underneath %programfiles% appears to be the bare minumum.

As for the SSDs with 0s as serial numbers, I think that the issue is caused because WMI exposes 0s as the serial number for these drives. Unfornuately, every computer that I am having this problem with is an HP computer.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.