Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Layer2 Discovery

Hi,

my client has asked me to perform layer2 discovery directly from the UCMDB and leave the integration with NNMi aside.
I want to make sure that what I'm going to ask for is the right thing to do in order to make a successful discovery, that's why I want to have the following questions:
1) What do I need for a successful discovery of layer2?
1.1) What are the minimum requirements that I must request?
1.2) To whom should I request this information? What area of IT?

What are the recommendations or experiences you have had with this discovery.

I appreciate your contributions.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Layer2 Discovery

Hello Marsella,

there's a lot of documentation for Layer2 but a good start would be http://cmshelpcenter.saas.hp.com/CMS/10.31/cp-docs/docs/eng/doc_lib/Content/Layer2_discoveryFlow.htm

Most of the discovery is done via SNMP although we introduced such capabilities to the VMware flow and other cloud/virtualization discovery (we are actively working on this segment).

First I would follow the above mentioned flow and you will need to get the prerequisites for SNMP discovery (credentials, ACLs, configuration of SNMP, etc). This will cover a good part of the Layer2 discovery.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Dear Marsella,

We make a short assessment regarding this subject, we finally are mantaining NNMi basically 2 concerns:

a) NNMi has a better performance(less infrastructure more discoveries) for layer2 dicovery and handle MIBs/devices zoo

b) NNMi has better license price when your are managing hundreds/thousends of layer 2 elements.

Best regards, Miquel

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Keep in mind in order NNMi to deliver Layer2 relationship to hosts, you will need Host Discovery on the NNMi side and it is extra licenses.

Cheers,

Petko Popadiyski

Freelance Microfocus CMS UCMDB Consulting

Likes are appreciated!
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

Interesting, can you share license table or something that show how this works? I can only see one type of lincese at this moment.

Thanks, Miquel

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Petko

Interesting.

So far I have not come across "Host Discovery on the NNMi", I was assuming you can enable SNMP on hosts and discover it by NNMi along with your devices to get Layer2 components on the fly which will not require extra licenses.

Can you please shed more light on this please.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

I didn't mean to be extra license, but it will still consume the licenses you have. So you may not have counted the connected servers when you have ordered the NNMi package. Check properly not to be surprised.

Likes are appreciated!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.