Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Linux OSUser discovery - possible to discover logon shell?

Dear all,

I've been asked for an upcoming audit whether it would be possible to get a report with linux systems and their respective users(which is the easy part), but also outline which of them actually can logon to the system. (or have a shell assigned to them as bypass).

Is this possible somehow?

regards

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Linux OSUser discovery - possible to discover logon shell?

Not being a linux admin myself, would this info be on the filesystem for a linux server?  If so, you can write something to get it.

Keith

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
UCMDB Worldwide Support Lead
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: Linux OSUser discovery - possible to discover logon shell?

Technically, yes. I have no idea on UCMDB side how it gets the OSUsers, I assumed it uses the same file anyway since the OSUsers match exactly the number present in /etc/passwd.
/etc/passwd (generally) contains
randomuser:x:515:100::/home/grsgoul:/bin/bash
rpc:x:32:32:Rpcbind Daemon:/var/cache/rpcbind:/sbin/nologin
Whereas /sbin/nologin would identify users that can not login to the system anyway - this would be the "boolean" info I'd be interested in.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.