Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Location Details UCMDB

Hi

I have a Csv with IP ranges of laptops, desktops, printers and IP phones.

1. If I go with the agent-less discovery can I get software utilization data from laptop and desktops?

2. If I go for agent based will it not fail for devices where agent cannot be installed.

3. How will the agent based work for laptops that are not on network while the discovery is running, can the agent be installed automatically as soon as the user connects back to the network.?

4. The IP subnets are different for different locations. like london has 172.2.3.5 - 172.2.3.254 and berlin has 172.2.6.5-172.2.6.254. Is it a good Idea to create zones based on location names with selected IP ranges.

5. My devices do not have location attribute available in them, but as I said I know what IP ranges fall under what location, can I get a view based on location that could list all my devices for that particular location.?

regards,
Gaurav Parashar
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Re: Location Details UCMDB

1. If I go with the agent-less discovery can I get software utilization data from laptop and desktops?

No, to capture software utilization, you need to deploy agents to the target CIs, as well as the Software Utilization plug-in.

2. If I go for agent based will it not fail for devices where agent cannot be installed.

Have you considered a mixed approach using both agent and agentless discovery? This can be managed via management zones.

3. How will the agent based work for laptops that are not on network while the discovery is running, can the agent be installed automatically as soon as the user connects back to the network.?

You can configure UCMDB to install an agent on Windows target CIs as soon as it is discovered.

4. The IP subnets are different for different locations. like london has 172.2.3.5 - 172.2.3.254 and berlin has 172.2.6.5-172.2.6.254. Is it a good Idea to create zones based on location names with selected IP ranges.

This is entirely down to personal choice. I have known discovery implimentations to use this approach, however some choose to install multiple probes each to cover different geographic locations and subnet ranges.

5. My devices do not have location attribute available in them, but as I said I know what IP ranges fall under what location, can I get a view based on location that could list all my devices for that particular location.?

I would create an enrichment rule here to assign a location to a CI based on its IP address address (this would be a CI related to the target CI). For example 'IF IPaddress name Like 172.2.3.% create relationship to location 'London''. This would require some manual input to create the rules and location CI's, but following rule activation, this would be an autonomous process. You could then generate reports and views to show CIs and their locations as usual.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Re: Location Details UCMDB

Thank you very much for your reply.
How can I set up the UCMDB to install an agent as sson as device is on network.

I have created a new zone, for some new IP ranges, but not started any activity till now. But, I still can see the devices from those ranges getting discovered.
regards,
Gaurav Parashar
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.