Highlighted
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..

Logic used in Inventory Scanner discovery

Jump to solution

Hello - I am implementing the Inventory Scanner discovery for getting software information on the servers.   One of the software products I am reporting on is Apache Tomcat.    I have seen Tomcat reported on some servers and not on others, even though I see the same pathnames on both servers, like /usr/apache/tomcat or /usr/apache/tomcat55.    I am planning to open a case with HP but thought I would post this to understand the logic used by the Inventory Scanner.   I enabled the File Monitor task and UD does create a CONFIGURATION DOCUMENT CI for CATALINA.SH  on each of the locations it is found.   The only inconsistent thing is whether Inventory Scanner creates an INSTALLED SOFTWARE CI or not.   I am on Version 10.22 CUP1 ...thanks !

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Logic used in Inventory Scanner discovery

Jump to solution

Check your Software Library but I could not find any file or package rules for Apache Tomcat on Solaris. It would say operating system Solaris and Package Type Pkg. See the screen shot below.

UD_SAI_Apache_Portable_Runtime_rule.png

In that case you will want to open a support ticket to have it added or create a custom rule yourself.

If your question has been answered please make sure to mark the post as solved so that others can benefit. You can also show your appreciation by clicking KUDOS below.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

The UD scanner will collect installed package information from the system package manager. The scan file is processed on the probe server by the XML enricher and the data is compared to the rules in the SAI file. In the case of Apache Tomcat for Linux rules are in the BaseUnixOS SAI file and are checking for a specific name in the list of installed packages.

UD_SAI_Tomcat_rule.png

If the Tomcat server is not installed by the package manager and instead was installed by using a tar ball then it will not be identified.

If you find that Apache Tomcat is installed by RPM but the name does not match the rule then you will want to open a support ticket to have the pattern added to the SAI.

Highlighted
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thank you very much !    I'm guessing that is true for Solaris as well although not RPM but PKG....?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Check your Software Library but I could not find any file or package rules for Apache Tomcat on Solaris. It would say operating system Solaris and Package Type Pkg. See the screen shot below.

UD_SAI_Apache_Portable_Runtime_rule.png

In that case you will want to open a support ticket to have it added or create a custom rule yourself.

If your question has been answered please make sure to mark the post as solved so that others can benefit. You can also show your appreciation by clicking KUDOS below.

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.