Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Modeling Question about business service

Hi all,

I have a business service (called BS1) which is implemented by web server, application server and database schema. Furthermore, it reads data from a database schema which is owned by another business service (called BS2). The discovery jobs have discovered these running software and database schema.

I assume that there are the following two approaches of modeling these services:

1st option (Business service is an aggregation of running software and database schema)

BS1 --- contains --- WS1 (web server)
BS1 --- contains --- AS1 (application server)
BS1 --- contains --- DB1 schema (database schema)
BS1 -- depends on -- BS2
BS2 --- contains -- DB2 schema (database schema)
The above relationships are created manually.

2nd option (business service is connected to an entry point, and manually relate the running software)

BS1 --- contains --- WS1 (web server)
WS1 -----<connects to>---- AS1 (application server)
AS1 -----<owns> ---DB1 schema (database schema)
AS1 -----<useage> ----- DB2 schema
BS2 ----contains --- <any running software>
<any running software> ---- <owns> ------ DB2 schema (database schema)
The above relationships are created manually.
In this case, I do not know whether I should create an application system, which aggregates the running software WS1, AS1 DB1 schema?

Does anyone know the pros and cons of the above models?

Is there any best practice or any guideline which model I should follow?

Regards,

Anna

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Re: Modeling Question about business service

Hi Anna

Which uCMDB version are you on?

These are the below options for building the models:-

1. Instance Based : It's a simple and quick way of building a model for application, you just deag and drop CI related to your application .

2.Pattern Based : You build views in ucmdb and put in a signature to identify the components related to your application. This is a dynamic model.You need to have the knowledge of application and discovery data.

3.Automated Service Modelling : Top-down approach, you add the URL of the application and it starts discovering the components of the application. You need to work on port opening etc so its not as simple s it sounds 🙂

You need to define the scope of modelling and what you are planning to achieve. Lot of customers have started using the automated modelling  wheras other methods are time consuming.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Modeling with patterns or modeling by instances?
What is the advantage and disadvantage of each?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Hello

If you have any specific questions you can post it here but otherwise please refer to Modeling.pdf for any information on the modelling.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.