Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Network Discovery and relationshp with host

Hi Experts,

Am looking to discover the  network CI such as router & Switchs and their respective relationshio with the Hosts , is it possible achive that in UD ?

And I have question regarding the licening of network discoery , UD license is  OS Basesd , so every Router and Switch is counted as 1 OS instance?

Regards,

Ashish

0 Likes
15 Replies
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Re: Network Discovery and relationshp with host

Ashish,

You have a couple of approaches available to you. Assuming you have UCMDB/UD.

Discovery Route:

You will need to run several discovery packages offered. Depending on your device, your ability to have access to the network devices via firewall and common credentials. Once you have identified these devices you can then, theoretically run Layer 2 network discovery and identify ports and bridges. The real issue here is that this kind of discovery and building an effective UCMDB base to really have good results with, will require experience. This is not a tool or solution for a "bright" but inexperienced person. 

Integration Route:

Using UCMDB/UD you can also pull network information from any source that it already exists, including network management solutions, HP NNMi, Solarwinds, or even a spreadsheet.

Neither of these solutions are easy to understand as CI creation, normalization and reconciliation are complex internal workings of the UCMDB. However it can be done. In several of our customer environments we do a mix of both approaches, the key is to normalize the data whether it comes from integration or discovery. Doing either poorly will net you with poor results. Garbage in, garbage out.

As to licensing, it is based on discovery triggers and also then based on operating systems. If the device doesn't use an operating system instance to connect to it, you will not pay for that device. In one environment we have 3,000 network and snmp based devices that are integrated through a complex but necessary integration that uses multiple databases, multiple UCMDB's, but results in flawless and highly valuable network information (where the device is and all the facts about it). 

UCMDB is all about relating DATA to other DATA to make information. If you have a very narrow use case such as "discover network devices", going after that use case with UCMDB is probably like taking a planetoid and crashing it into earth to squish a small spider.

effectualsystems.com
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Eengstorm,

Thanks for Such a suggestion. My usecase is , we are looking for relationship between hosts and all the Network components   and will passing the same topology  to the BSM ( OMi) , where we can built cross-domain Corelations.

We do have NNMi  in place , from NNMi I have got the  Switches and routers , but didn't got the relationship between  them and Hosts.  So  I was looking to use the UD to discover that relationship.

So what I understood , is UD can  help me to acheive this , please correct me if my understnding is wrong here...

Regards,
Ashish
0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

You may want to re-read my former post.

Yes. With caveats.

UD cannot identify all network devices and packages that are available out of the box do not support all devices. It takes a considerable amount of effort. This effort is reduced with experience. My one follow on suggestion is: do what is possible with what you have. And if you pursue UD, before you buy, make sure your devices can be discovered by the packages.

If your team hasn't done this before you should look at a professional such as Chris Satterthwaite at http://leveragediscovery.com/index.htm. He can help you accomplish this in weeks instead of months.

Erik

effectualsystems.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Hi Ashish_Gupta,

Yes, in UD you can discover the network CI (router and switch), even relationship between the Host and there CI.

You could run Range IPs by ICMP to get IP address of the Host then run Host Connection by Shell to discover these IP address to get router, switch..and relationship.

And regarding to your second concern, you UD license is OS based so i would like to share with you some information about OS Usage Counting:

The Counting TQL:

-          Include all Computers

-          Include all nodes without node role of network device

+  Excluding nodes without OSFamily attribute value

-          Include nodes that have running software

+  Excluding DNS server, Agents, RunningSoftware concrete CIT

-          Exclude list of CITs:

+  Network Devices, ClusterResourceGroup, HP Complex, HP NonStop, IBM Frame, Mainframe CPC, Terminal Server

Base on this, we can answer your question that router and switch is not be counted as OS intance.

Best regards

Hoang

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*HP Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.*
*If you feel the post is helpful, please assign a KUDO star to say "Thanks"*
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ashish,

Thanks for dropping by the forum. Hoang and eengstrom have provided some great information regarding our UD tool. There is a plethora of information available via HPSW's UD. Do you have any additional questions regarding UD? If you do, I'd be more than happy to connect you with an appropriate resource. Thanks again for the post.

Best Regards,

Jeff-HPSW

[If this post solves or helps solve your issue, mark the thread as solved and give KUDOS to the author for their assistance.]
(Opinions expressed in my postings are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.No warranties express or implied for any solution/suggestion posted.)

I am an HP employee in the enterprise software group. If my post helps you, please mark it as an accepted solution. If you need further insight into HP Solutions, please send me a private message or contact an HP Solutions Expert
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Hi Ashish,

We used NNMi integration  to gather Switches and routers Ci's , but didn't got the relationship between  them and Hosts.  

I want to derive host to switch relationship . 

Please share the steps or docs or suggestions to achieve the same.

Thanks in adavance.

Regards
Sunil
0 Likes
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

@Ashish_Guptawrote:
Eengstorm,

Thanks for Such a suggestion. My usecase is , we are looking for relationship between hosts and all the Network components   and will passing the same topology  to the BSM ( OMi) , where we can built cross-domain Corelations.

We do have NNMi  in place , from NNMi I have got the  Switches and routers , but didn't got the relationship between  them and Hosts.  So  I was looking to use the UD to discover that relationship.

So what I understood , is UD can  help me to acheive this , please correct me if my understnding is wrong here...

Regards,
Ashish

@Ashish_Guptawrote:
Eengstorm,

Regards,
Ashish

Hi Ashish,

We used NNMi integration  to gather Switches and routers Ci's , but didn't got the relationship between  them and Hosts.  

I want to derive host to switch relationship . 

Please share the steps or docs or suggestions to achieve the same.

Thanks in adavance.

Regards
Sunil
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Have you tried running the Layer2 discovery job? It will bring in the Host to switch relationship. Examples belowCapture.PNGlayer2 tql.PNG

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

As mentioned, you can do this with UD.

We just went through this process again with another client who wanted this:)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Dear All

Can you please let me know the exact procedure or discovery methods to achieve this without NNMi,

Is this the procedure,

1.    Run Range IPs by ICMP to get IP address of the Host
2.    Run Host Connection by Shell to discover these IP address to get router, switch..and relationship.
3.    Run Layer2 discovery job

Please advise.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi Ramesh,

You can proceed like :

Run Range IPs by ICMP 

Run Host Connection by Shell/SNMP.

NOTE::If ssh is enabled from the switch side then shell otherwise snmp but for both of them you have to give the credentials in protocol and check from probe also that you can access the switch from there.

Run Host Networking by SNMP. If You are going through SNMP otherwise just directly go to Layer 2 Topology by Shell. 

If not shell then run :

Run  Layer 2 Topology by CDP-LLDP by SNMP.

Run  Layer 2 Topology by Bridge-based by snmp.

And after that you can run 

VLANS by SNMP 

VLANS ports by snmp 

Layer 2 Topology by VLAN-based by SNMP.

I hope it give you the topology yo need.

Regrads 

Ayush

*If you feel the post is helpful, please assign a KUDO star to say "Thanks"*

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.