Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Network Elements discovery by HP Universal CMDB

Hello All,

Regarding the network elements discovery, I want to discover routers, switches, firewalls and load balancers.

With reference to the data flow management guide, "Host Connection by SNMP" job in the module Network Infrastructure >> Host Connection, can discover the CITs which include routers, switch, firewalls and load balancers.
Does that imply, if I configure "Host Connection by SNMP" job, I can discover the network elements of my infra. Please suggest if I am wrong.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: Network Elements discovery by HP Universal CMDB

If you just want to discover and touch the netDevices then HostConnection by SNMP will be the first step. Some switches have shell access (if your net admins allow it), maybe you can approach the task with SSH not only SNMP.

You will see that we have some Cisco based discovery jobs like Cisco ACE by SNMP or Cisco UCS Connection. Actually, you can explore the entire Load balancer category under Clustering and Load balancing section.

Most likely you will need to get the Layer2Conncetions in order to properly model the impact analysis later on.

The Firewall category is also useful.

It all breaks down to how many credentials do you.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Bogdan,

As you mentioned, some network devices have the shell access so I can configure 2 jobs - "Host Connection by SNMP" and "Host Connection by Shell"

Regarding the Cisco jobs and Clustering and Load balancing section, I amd bit confused and wanted to know what is the use of additional jobs lets say for Load balancer if my "Host Connection by SNMP" job can discover load balancer.

Is the only difference is number of parameters and level of information which will be fetched by DFP.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Each job has a different purpose. Host Connection will create the node with the needed attributes and a small number of related CIs, all of this information is needed to:

• confirm that the host is alive and reachable with configured credentials
  • retrieve the minimum data needed for the upcoming discovery jobs

The rest of the discovery jobs will report other CIs and topologies depending on their design purpose.

I would try to run the basic jobs and identify possible problems first like: credentials, unknown devices, wrong protocol, incorrect get option (get-next vs get bulk), incorrect bulk size, etc.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Bogdan,

As you mentioned, Host Connection jobs will give the basic information in the discovery process.

Whereas othe specific jobs, like specific jobs for load balancers will give extended details and related CIs which can be further used for business and services mapping.

But in case both of my jobs are running and are in the same IP range, will it create duplicate entries in the DB, like duplicate entries for load balancers.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

No, that's why we have the reconciliation engine.

http://cmshelpcenter.saas.hp.com/CMSBP/Content/CMS_BP/CMSRecon.html

Merges will happen in order to avoid duplicates.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Great, thanks mate!!!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.