Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Network device with IP/MAC Address but no SNMP

Hi,

I have implemented discovery and UCMDB at a client site.

Not all network devices are SNMP managed and the client wishes to use the tool to inform him of network devices that require SNMP enablement.

So, the client wants the tool to report where devices were discovered by IP address only and says that the tool should use the MAC address to identify the hardware vendor (eg Cisco).

He referred to the 'other' discovery tool DDMi and said it was able to provide such lists from the web console (Unmanaged NCD or Unmanaged NCD with CDP).

Does DDMA/UCMDB also have this capability?

Kind Regards

Graham

Tags (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Network device with IP/MAC Address but no SNMP

I'm not sure if we have an OTTB view to show such report but it could be easily created.

When UCMDB connecting with SNMP it creates CI called SNMP agent connected to the Host CI.

So, the hosts that you are looking for, should be connected to IP, Interface and not connected SNMP Agent.

Please pay attention to cardinality 0..0 on Host->SNMP connection.

In addition you could add condition on Interface CI to show only MACs from specifc vendor (CISCO for instance).

Please check attached screenshot.

Hope this helps.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Thanks for the great response. I must admit though, that for a newbie it seems a little challenging. I will have a look today when I get to the client.

If we have DDMi on anothers server I suppose we could use it to produce the required output OOTB? Does anybody know anything about the Discovery Knowledge Patch for DDMi and how to use it?

Is there a simple way to feed from DDMi into UCMDB?

I am really a beginner and as you can see I am still trying to make sense of the various components.

Kind Regards

Graham

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

The information same to Discovery Knowledge Patch for DDMi is provided with Content Pack for UD.

It's available at HP Live Network at https://hpln.hp.com/group/content-pack-updates-ud.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.