Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Order of Discovery Job in UCMDB 9

Jump to solution

Hi,

I want to know if there any specific order to scheduled below Discovery job in UCMDB9 or we can scheduled them in any order(little bit explanation will helpfull)

1)Host connection by shell

2)Host connection by snmp

1)Host connection by wmi

Regards,

Dharmendra

P.S. This thread has been moved from Application Perf Mgmt (BAC / BSM) Support and News Forum to CMS and Discovery Support and News Forum. -HP Forum Moderator

Regards,
hp4u
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Order of Discovery Job in UCMDB 9

Jump to solution

Do you mean input TQLs? If so, they are used to identify trigger CIs for which the discovery job will run to discover more CIs related to the trigger CIs.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Host connections jobs by different agents (shell/wmi/snmp) are independent of each other and you can run them in any order.

Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks,but when i looked at TQL it seems to be good if we can scheduled Shell then WMI and SNMP.Let me know your thought.

Regards,
hp4u
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

As I said the order for these specific jobs doesn't matter. So you run them in any order you like.

Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thanks,I agree with you.

But why we have TQL in that manner,simply we can remove them(not sure about the logic behind those TQL).

Regards,
hp4u
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Not sure I understand what TQL you are talking about.

Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

HI Dimitry,

When we are clicking those jobs it shows queries defined for those jobs?or it is something else?

Regards,
hp4u
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Do you mean input TQLs? If so, they are used to identify trigger CIs for which the discovery job will run to discover more CIs related to the trigger CIs.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

If you are asking this question to avoid running of disvoery for the hosts with multiple protcol then you can consider keeping the ip range mentioned at the credential section. This will avoid the same.

Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some information and advice around best practise for UCMDB discovery.  

I am running with UCMDB 9.05 and we are entering into an enterprise sized solution running on a virtual platform.

We have activated numerous different adapters and we basically let them run during a 13 hour discovery window outside of core business hours.  We are experiencing a whole host of different issues:

-  Discovery rarely finishes.

-  We have an extreme amount of error logging.

-  We have Java Heap space issues, which dump large .hprof files on the probes.

-  The CPU of both the UCMDB application Server and the 4 Probes are maxing at 100% outside of the discovery window.

-  Slow Performance and numerous UCMDB Client UI issues.

We believe that the Client UI issues are related to the App servers working too hard.  Why they are working so hard outside of the discovery window is a mystery, but it could be that the probes are still conducting reconciliation and reporting back to the UCMDB application server.

HP Support have said that we should stagger our discovery to alleviate the stress on the app servers and perhaps we should not run certain discovery everyday.  

My Questions:

-  I was wondering what the best practise for running an efficient discovery process would be?

-  Is anyone else out there conducting this kind of staggered discovery model?

-  For example, how can you gauge how long 'Host resources by WMI' is going to take to finish, so that you can schedule the 'Host resources and applications by WMI' to start almost straight afterwards?  

-  Do the community run their activated adapters everyday?  

-  Are there certain resource heavy adapters that should run just at the weekend?  What are the implications to certain data being potentially 5 days out of date?

Sorry for the long post, but I would be extremely interested to hear what other users are doing out there.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

TJD34

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

We faced the issue and hp suggested to install the probe in Separate mode,after this our ucmdb is stable and we are not facing java heap file size issue and discovery process seems to be fast.

We have Six probe in my environment.

Regards,
hp4u
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Hp4u

Thanks for your reply.  Thats interesting and I will investigate your information.  A couple of questions to you:

(1)  Are you an enterprise sized solution or smaller?

(2)  Are you running your UCMDB app server and probes on a virtual platform or a physical machine?

it would be really interesting to know the above.

Many thanks again for replying

TJD34

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.