Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Perform a backup on a UCMDB with Embedded PostgreSQL

Jump to solution

Hello:

We have a UCMDB with the integrated DB PostGreSQL

¿Is necessary to stop the UCMDB Server Service and UCMDB Integration Service to backup the DDBB?

¿Is the correct way to backup the UCMDB perform a pg_dump/pg_dumpall >backup.sql?

We have think a way to automated the backups in the UCMDB. Do you think the backup DDBB (pg_dump) is enough?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: Perform a backup on a UCMDB with Embedded PostgreSQL

Jump to solution

Hey chuchi,

The problem that requires stopping of the DB service isn't a MicroFocus limitation, but a Java one. From my experience, in case the backup will take no longer that DAL timeout (OTTB 10 mins) the system will survive. From supportability perspective, you shouldn't run production on Postgres, as I said earlier.

One of the best guides on PostgreSQL backup is here https://www.linode.com/docs/databases/postgresql/how-to-back-up-your-postgresql-database/.

Hope this helps.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Are you talking about UCMDB or Data Flow Probe?

In the case of Data Flow Probe you don't need to backup it.  It' holds temporary info only.

If this is about UCMDB Server, I'd like to point your attention to the fact that MicroFocus isn't recommending to use PostgreSQL for a production environment.  Performance wise you will not get close to MS SQL or Oracle.

Just FYI.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Jump to solution

Sorry Dima,

We are talking about UCMDB server only, i agree too that the Data Flow Probe only contents temporary info and their configuration is stored on the UCMDB DDBB.

We have an integrated PostgreSQL in the UCMDB (poor implementation, i know) but our plans is to migrated to a Oracle Server. For the moment i would like to mantain a backup of the UCMDB server just in case of disaster.

It's absolutely necessary to stop the ucmdb/integration service in the UCMDB server to perform a pg_dump backup of the PostGreSQL DDBB?

thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

The Integration Service is a Lightwiegt integration probe and instead of having it's on DB as a regular standalone probe, it will use the server DB instead by creating several probe specific tables. This is the reason why you need to stop the integration service. Anyway, if the server is stopped then the Integration service is running useless as it will connect only to the localhost UCMDB server.
The Postgresql migration will imply deploying a new UCMDB server and pushing/fetching data to the other one. In short words, a fresh install with data migration. We would recommend to take this opportunity to perform any usable updates-upgrades like server version or CP version.

There was in the past a discussion to have a DB translation tool which would migrate on the fly data from a UCMDB server with a DB type to another UCMDB server with a different DB type. There's always the option to submit this on Idea Echange portal.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hey chuchi,

The problem that requires stopping of the DB service isn't a MicroFocus limitation, but a Java one. From my experience, in case the backup will take no longer that DAL timeout (OTTB 10 mins) the system will survive. From supportability perspective, you shouldn't run production on Postgres, as I said earlier.

One of the best guides on PostgreSQL backup is here https://www.linode.com/docs/databases/postgresql/how-to-back-up-your-postgresql-database/.

Hope this helps.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

From supportability perspective, you shouldn't run production on Postgres, as I said earlier.

Can I disagree on that? Yes, having integrated postgresql on the same server may be problematic, but you can always move it to an external server. 

I had a customer, which is one of the biggest Telcos in the country. They are very caucious of spending money for licenses, especially when according to the sizing document, the permitted size of the data in postgresql is 24 million CIs. Imagine how as consultants we will go to the clients and tell them to give to microsoft or oracle 100k euro for licensing for the supported enterprise versions of the database, while microfocus guarantees the product is working fine with the free opensource psql ...

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.