Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Report of CIs discovered by UD in given time period

Jump to solution

Hello,

please has anybody got a solution for "common business" problem like this ?

Our management wants to see all CIs that were discovered by UD in the last month. The reason is simple - our outsourcer is paid by number of active nodes (servers, PCs etc.) that supports. The logic behind : if a node is discovered by UD witching given time period then it is active, otherwise inactive. Yes, we tried to use Last Access Time (because this attribute is updated by UD whenever the UD touches the CI). It didn't work, because Last Access Time is updated also by manual updates and integrations. The other fields didn’t work too (because they are updated only in case of change). Disappointment. So is there any solution? And dear MF would it be possible to add 2 new attributes (LastScannedTime and LastScanedBy) that would be dedicated to UD (and updated only by UD when performing discovery) ? Thad would make UCMDB/UD life much easier and more valuable - for us - for customers. Thank you very much in advance. Ivan

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Re: Report of CIs discovered by UD in given time period

Jump to solution

Hello Bogdan,

thank you for your response. I will explore the JMX method and get back with the result soon. I. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi ,

May you try to export the report using the attribute "Created time " ?

Best Regards,

Melissa Carranza Mejias
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation. “
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello,

unfortunatelly not. The request is to get list of all CIs that were discovered (i.e. at least "touched" by UD) in given time period. If we used "Created Time" we would get the list of only CIs created within the given time... So the solution must be based on "Last Access Time" attribute, but the problem is that this attribute is not "reserved" for UD but is changed by other meachanisms too (typically by manual update, by integrations etc.).  Have a nice day. I. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

For rough numbers you can check the JMX method export exportDiscoveryProcessingStatisticsToExcel but I think you are looking for more granularity.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello Bogdan,

thank you for your response. I will explore the JMX method and get back with the result soon. I. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello,

I went through the JMX method and its output. Unfortunatelly the output is rather "statistical excercise" than practical list of CIs having been discovered by UD. Thank you for the tip. The problem lasts - how to get list of CIs that were discovered by UD in a period of time. By term "discovered" I mean discovered = created or updated or only TOUCHED by UD. Thank you in advance. Ivan 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Jump to solution

I think you are now in the realm of TQL maigc. It all depends on how good you can create such a view/TQL in order to fetch only the needed data.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello

:))) hmm look at it from customer's point of view. We bought UD product to discover our IT envirnoment. The discovery itself works fine but why should we spend time & money for somethigh what should be BASIC output (report, list whatever) of the discovery module ? I consider it as very weak point and lack of good product design.  It seems that the whole UCMDB/UD IS NOT CAPABLE to answer the basic question - what was discovered by UD in given period of time.... There should be DEDICATED attributes carrying the "discovery" data (e.g. last scan date, last scan by) without being overwritten by other processes (like it happens now with Last Access Time  - which is fine for aging, but not for this).  Don't you think ? Have a nice evening. I. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello folks,

please any new ideas or solution for  this challenging topic ?  Ivan

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.