Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

SMNP Errors

Jump to solution

I have been working with our network team to get all ip ranges in place in the probes. We have come across a few items where we get snmp authentication errors and when they look at the items. They do not exist. When we ping the item from the probe we get

Pinging 15.234.1.21 with 32 bytes of data

reply from 15.145.2.4: ttl expired in transit.

so the item really doesnt exist. however i am under the impression that snmp will not attempt to run discovery if icmp doesnt see the ip address.

Could icmp be seeing the expire in transit address and mistakenly expecting that to be the actual ip and running snmp?

I understand that this explanation doesnt make much sense, but I can make sense out of it either. If its not really ther, how is ICMP seeing it to record it to allow snmp to try to authenticate?

Roger
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: SMNP Errors

Jump to solution

Do you still see the issue after you changing the IP range as required ?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I am not sure, what is the exact problem you are facing.

ucmdb creates the IP CI, using the ICMP by range , here if you are able to ping the IP and get the reply that is enough.

If you are running snmp job against this IP, then you should be able to run any snmp utility on probe and then connect the remote server. This is enough.

What exactly snmp error you are getting ? Could you copy that error here ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
According to the network team, the device we are getting this error on -SNMP: Connection failed- doesnt exist. So the ipaddress should not even be picked up by ICMP to get to SNMP.
Roger
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Pinging 15.234.1.21 with 32 bytes of data

reply from 15.145.2.4: ttl expired in transit.

If you are pinging 15.234.1.21 but reply is coming from the different IP 15.145.2.4, 

Is this expected behavior in your network ? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

We assume that ping reply is also coming from the same IP for which we pinged.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Do you still see the issue after you changing the IP range as required ?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
We just added an exception for these ranges to eliminate the issue
Roger
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.