Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

SQL Server Database Discovery

Hello,

I am working on the discovery of several SQL Servers. I am running uCMDB 10.01

I notice that I am able to discover databases on the know SQL Server ports. 

As soon a the customer installs a second SQL Server on the same node the listener port changes to a port between 1000 and 3000.

I thought about putting all these ports in the portNumberToPortName.xml but this would result in a 3000 second wait per node since all the ports needs to be checked. 

(this last thought was also mentioned in the following forum article: http://tinyurl.com/pyrshce

Is there another way to find out on which port a SQL Server listens?

regards,

Martijn Krop.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Reply
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: SQL Server Database Discovery

This is called dynamic port mapping feature.

Assuming the customer has a separate DB server it could be a good idea to install every instance with static port.

There is a KB on it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823938 .

The only way on UCMDB  part is reconfigure "Application Signature of Host Resources and Applications by.." to create port that will be called mssql for every MSSQL runnign process.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.