Highlighted
Super Contributor.. Super Contributor..
Super Contributor..

Scanner can't be executed. Check if the scanner can run on the target host.

I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with the Inventory by Scanner job where I get the above error message.  The scan target is an Oracle Supercluster (Solaris 5.11).  I've tried running the scanner manually from the client and it completes successfully.  I can do a UD Agent ping from the UD interface and I get a successful response (I also get a successful host connection discovery).

I've checked the comm log but not seeing anything of significance.  Any ideas where to check?

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Scanner can't be executed. Check if the scanner can run on the target host.

Hi,

Start checking:

• Scan file and its configuration file
  • XML enricher log file and its configuration file

If needed I recommend to open a support ticket.

Regards,

Jason Montero
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

@RRoseI have the issue as well and have determined that in my case the problem is with the creation of the DATADIR. If you look in the communication log of a failed job you may see a line similar to:

</void>
  <void method="put">
   <string>DATADIR</string>
   <string>/.discagnt</string>
  </void>

or like the following image:
Bad DATADIR variable expansionBad DATADIR variable expansion

If you look on these affected systems you will find a .discagnt folder at the root of the file system instead of in /root/.discagnt or where ever the home directory of the user that installed the Agent is located. I have attached a shell script that I use to fix Linux systems. I have not used it on Solaris and provide it without warranty or support. You may use it as an example of how to correct the issue.

John

0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Hi John,

If user is root, Ideally by default discovery agent files should be get dumped onto /root/.discagnt when home directory is not specified explicity. This resolve the issue even before it could occure and saves troubleshooting  time.

If user is root and UD Agent tries to use /.discagnt and clearly many Unix/Linux./Solaris server won't allows to create the hidden directory on the root (i.e. / ) path. This should be fixed, if it is not fixed already.

Thanks & Regards,

Rohit  

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.