Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Struggling to install UCMDB for the first time

Trying to install UCMDB 10.10 for the first time. We have been trying to follow the instructions, but keep running into odd things like a statement that after installing UCMDB we should install configuration manager - but then in its install instructions it says that we need to ensure there is a specifically named user in UCMDB ... which we don't have any idea how to get there because we just installed it and there's not been any instructions on adding such a Default Client.

Then there is the step just before installing Configuration Manager which tells us to test the connection - but the test fails with a 404 and no indication in the error, or on the screen, as to what might be wrong or needed to be done.

Does anyone have a nice walk through on installing the software that might cover the "oh yeah, don't forget to do this..." kind of things?

Thanks!

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
New Member.

Re: Struggling to install UCMDB for the first time

Hi lwvirden,

Could you please share with me the document that you mentioned?

From my view of deployment guide, if you do not have any work with CM, you do not need install it. However, if you want to install it, please follow the document below to have more details.

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/document/KM00642992

Best Regards,

Hoang.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*HP Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.*
*If you feel the post is helpful, please assign a KUDO star to say "Thanks"*
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

the name of the document to which I am referring is hp universal cmdb for the windows and redhat enterprise Linux operating systems
Software Version: 10.10
Customized output from:
HP Universal CMDB deployment guide
Document release date: November 2013
Software release date: November 2013
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Hi lwvirden,

Could you please see the document that i mentioned above?

I think it has some useful information for your concern.

Best Regards,

Hoang.

*HP Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.*
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Actually, the document to which you refer IS the document that we were reading.
There were a number of issues that we encountered.
For instance, our password had a $ in it. The document referred to "account and password names" - and that phrase was interpreted as meaning that logins could not have $ in them; not that passwords could not.
Also, it was not clear at all from the docs that the machine on which UCMDB was being installed could not, under any circumstances, have anything else running on it such as tomcat or iis. Until we shut these down, the application did not work.
Once we did shut these down, then we were able to get things working.

Thank you for your advice.
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

Hi lwvirden,

I think the user and password to access ucmdb server can contain $ character.

I just see condition for database user and pass: "Database user and password names can contain alphanumeric characters from the database character set as well as the underscore sign. Names must begin with an alphabetic character and should not exceed 30 characters." 

Regarding to tomcat issue, i think it is problem of port, could you please check port of tomcat or iis?, does it use ucmdb port, if so please try to change port of tomcat or iis, because it is not recommended to change port for ucmdb.

http://www.mkyong.com/tomcat/how-to-change-tomcat-default-port/

Best Regards,

Hoang.

*HP Support
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

All I know is that as long as we had a $ in our password, the test of the database connection failed. When we changed the password, things moved one.
As for tomcat, Tomcat was there because other applications needed it. Changing the port for tomcat would mean working with the applications that need tomcat to change them, and of course they too recommend changing other things rather than tomcat's port.

Thank you for all your help.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.