Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

TQL looping

In the uCMDB’s Modeling Studio, we are facing some challenges when trying to build a specific request to extract some of our CIs. We want to extract all the CIs of one specific CI type which can have upward and/or downward relationships with other CIs of the same type. In this case, the relationships involved are all of the type “usage”. The problematic lies in the fact that several of these CIs satisfy conditions from all levels of our request, which mixes up the results in the report.

The query appears quite simple: from a central CI, we want to know how many and which CIs of the same type are link upward by usage relationships, and conversely how many and which CIs of the same type are linked downward by usage relationships (see attached example 1)

We want all “CI-Main” to be listed in the report and we want the total number and the names of upward (“CI-Up”) and downward (“CI-Down”) CIs to be specify for each “CI-Main”, if any. This, cardinalities are as follow:

CI-Main: Usage (CI-Up, CI-Main) : 0..* & Usage (CI-Main, CI-Down) : 0..*

CI-Up: Usage (CI-Up, CI-Main) : 1..*

CI-Down: Usage (CI-Main, CI-Down) : 1..*

Here’s a case to illustrate our problematic, with fictive CIs A to F, all of the same CI type. In this CI type, there’s a total of a few thousands CIs. CIs B and C are linked above CI-A while CIs D, E and F, are linked below CI-A  (see attached example 2)

When producing the report over our few thousand CIs, here’s what we would like to have in our report for this specific CI-A :

[CI-Main]: Display Label

Total ([CI-Up])

List([CI-Up] – Display Label)

Total ([CI-Down)]

List([CI-Down] – Display Label)

CI-A

CI-B, CI-C

CI-D, CI-E, CI-F

But here’s what we currently get in our report in the Modeling Studio:

[CI-Main]: Display Label

Total ([CI-Up])

List([CI-Up] – Display Label)

Total ([CI-Down)]

List([CI-Down] – Display Label)

CI-A

CI-B, CI-C, CI-E, CI-F

CI-C, CI-D, CI-E, CI-F

Now, the problem comes from the fact that each of these CIs can as well meet the conditions of “CI-Main”, “CI-Up” and “CI-Down”, creating some kind of loop in the displayed data of the report. For example, CI-E and CI-F also have themselves downward CIs (“CI-Down”) and it seems to be the reason why CI-E and F appear here as “CI-Up” for CI-A. Similarly, CI-C also have upward CIs (“CI-Up”), meaning it appears here as “CI-Down” for CI-A.

If I add a filter on the “CI-Main” to extract only CI-A, I get the desired results in my table. This workaround is not a viable solution since we have more than 5000 CIs we want to extract weekly.

Is there any query trick I could use to extract this data from the Modeling Studio?

0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Re: TQL looping

Hi Lex, 

Many thanks for contact Micro Focus support team. 

We have been checking the current situation of your issue.

My recommendation is to open a support case since this need a deep analysis to go through your environment and find the necessary query for complete this task. 

Please feel free to open a support case with the same information and we can help you better and more detailed. 

Best regards, 

UCMDB Team 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Re: TQL looping

@Joshua_10_  the question of Lex is quite descriptive and I don't understand why would he open a ticket to be asked to submit million  unrelated  log files and spend weeks to seek the answer rather than somebody from MicroFocus responding here for the benefit of the whole community. People open topics here exactly because nobody is happy with the speed and quality of MicroFocus support responses.

@LexTrep You can play with Inter-Layer Links property of the view. When you open your view/report, you are able to set the View Definition properties for Inter-Layer Links to "Full". By default it uses "None", which eliminates the duplicates in the results, while you need them.

Regards,

Petko Popadiyski

Freelance Microfocus CMS UCMDB Consulting

Likes are appreciated!
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.