Highlighted
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..

Tips for daily operations

I am implementing a new UCMDB environment, high availability setup, with ucmdb browsers also in high availability and configuration manager. The database is placed on a SQL cluster.

Are their any documentation describing daily tasks, best practice for daily operations which is the best way to operate the environment as an administrator?

Can you mention which logfiles, services, processes and thresholds for monitoring the UCMDB, CM and UCMDB Browser environment? I expect to at least monitor the UCMDB Status page and the UCMDB services.

Regards

Jacob

Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Tips for daily operations

Hello Jacob,

There are no documents on daily tasks or a best practice guide on how to administrate an UCMDB server.

You may want to check that the free Java Heap Memory since if it runs out of heap memory it will creat a dump file.

In regards to the logs unless you are expirincing any problems there should not be any need to check them.

There is only one service for the UCMDB and one for the CM so if the service is down the server is down. And on the Probe there are 2 which are the Probe service and the Probe DB service.

HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

There is no documentation about this, here is my tip for your daily action:

1, Check the DataFlowProbeStatus panel, if all probes are still connected.

2, Check the discovery Status Panel of your running jobs.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor..

Are there any ways to monitor DataFlowProbeStatus and discovery Status panel, without using the GUI? I prefer to be alerted by SiteScope if I can monitor the status (eg. logfiles) that way to avoid spending time in the GUI.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor..

This is the monitoring I plan to implement for UCMDB, CM and UCMDB Browser in a high availability environment. Please feel free to add any suggestions you might have:

The last column on the right, might be difficult to understand, but you should read words in italic as the this is the check I do and words in bold as the alert level. 

Status!=200, Error

Content match, regular expression= Error, Warning, Down, Not Started, Error

UCMDB Application Servers

URL Check

Check URL for access and match content on http://[UCMDB Application Server]:443/status 

Status!=200, Error

Content match, regular expression= Error, Warning, Down, Not Started, Error

URL Check

Check URL for access and match content on http://[UCMDB Application Server]:443/ucmdb-ui/applet/applet.jsp

Status!=200, Error

Content match!=HP Universal CMDB, Error

UCMDB Browser Servers

URL Check

Check URL for access and match content on http://[UCMDB Browser Servers]:443/ucmdb-browser/ucmdb_browser.jsp

Status!=200, Error

Content match!=Universal CMDB Browser, Error

Service

Monitor Windows service:

UCMDB_Server

UCMDB_Integration

Status!=running, Error

UCMDB Browser Servers

Service

Monitor Windows service:

CMS-Browser

Status!=running, Error

UCMDB Configuration Manager Servers

Service

Monitor Windows service:

HPUCMDBCM1010server0

Status!=running, Error

Log File

Monitor \wrapper.log. Monitors if the java part of the application server is experiencing errors.

Content match, regular expression= ERROR | WRAPPER, Error

Log File

Monitor \cmdb.ha.detailed.log. Monitors if high availability setup is experiencing any problems

Content match, regular expression= ERROR, Error

Log File

Monitor \error.log. Monitors if any errors occur.

Any entry since last check, error

Log File

Monitor \warn_log.log. Monitors if any warnings occur.

Any entry since last check, Warning

Cluster Health

URL Check

Monitor /ping/?restrictToWriter=true for the Writer VIP address

Status=503, Error

Statu=200, OK

Content match!=Up, Error

Cluster Health

URL Check

Monitor /ping/ for the Cluster VIP address (found on the load balancer)

Status=503, Error

Statu=200, OK

Content match!=Up, Error

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.