Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Trouble understanding touch mechanism

Trouble understanding touch mechanism

Can you provide a document that throughly explains how "touching" works and how it can be configured, what are the best practices and so on. I've learned recently that touching is done with rather long intervals instead of immediately after a run. I guess my main question is can touching be made immediate, so that I could observe the changes right after a job has run?
Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Re: Trouble understanding touch mechanism

Hello,

Please refer to the following article that provides some clarifications:

https://softwaresupport.hp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM00965067

Kind regards,

Irina

“HP Support
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Thank you. Is there any reason not to make it run with really small intervals, like a few minutes?

I'm looking at a situation where discovery runs on CI's that are not discovered again. They are not touched again, but still not marked as deletion candidates after several days. I'm trying to understand whether this is because just the way touch is, or if there's a bigger problem here, because support told me that they are not being touched/marked as candidates because touch takes more time (reference 4652267327)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

We hae been tracking issues that have come to our awareness of CI's that are not being marked and touched properly. In two cases this was only occuring with Universal Discovery using Agents. We have another unconfirmed report of this problem with Agentless discovery. In 10.20 we saw issues with inappropriate CI deletion and handling at the end of jobs.

You might have a new issue, or you may simply be seeing the same bug.

I will check back with the reporting parties and see if they have found a workaround or resolution.

Erik

effectualsystems.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I think I started seeing them after going to 10.11.CUP3 (where I am presently). I'm testing 10.21 on dev environment right now.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Can you specify which jobs you're running that you expect to see a touch?

The scenario we were observing is that some amount of servers were not receiving a touch. This was resulting in currently available computers that had scan files and recent data being aged out of the system.

effectualsystems.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Silver,

There are two different scenarios:

- when discovery  runs, if there are CIs which have changes they will be sent to the server; the LAT also gets updated at the same time; this would be the touching time then for such CIs;

- when discovery runs if there are CIs with no changes, the probe will filter them without sending to the server and it will mark them in its internal db as IS_TOUCHED=Y meaning the touching for those CIs needs to be sent when the touching activity will run(that's usually once per day);

In the second scenario you can configure it to be more often or you can also activate it manually from the probe jmx for testing purpose; basically we make it once per day since we consider that each discovery cycle is not more often than once per day;

Also sending the touching to the server adds more load to the db, like aging for example since it's doing updates on the db level; which is why we do not want to overload the server sending that data more than once per day since it's anyways not needed. In that time the server might be busy doing data in also which will anyways access the same tables as the touch operation therefore slowing down the current operations.

Let me know if you have any other questions on this?

Thanks,

Diana

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

I understand, thanks for your reply! Can you tell me which probe JMX method will send touch results to the database?

Sv.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

GwTaskResultDistributer ->ActivateTouchNow - you need to specify the probe name in there.

Regards,

Diana

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.