Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Turn off mdmp files

Our UCMDB server keeps producing lots of MDMP files which are causing the server to run out of Disk space. How do you turn these off so that they dont create them? I know its a setting somewhere but cant see which setting it is.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: Turn off mdmp files

Hello dheckford, 

I hope you are doing well . 

The mdmp files can be deleted. They are only used to check core dump issues. Please review the possibility to increase the java heap space . 

Best Regards , 

Melissa Carranza Mejias
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a KUDOS by clicking on the STAR at the bottom left of the post and show your appreciation. “
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for the reply. I've increased the java heap size from 1024 to 2048. Will see if this makes a difference.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Hi Dave,

Which version are you working with? 10.2x?

Thread dumps can effectively be turned off and their interval changed, but I'm not sure you can stop the java heap core dump file as its a cause of the heap running out of memory and needing to offload to disk.

Increasnig the memory will decrease the frequency of the problem. However, I'd suggest you set to 2048-4096. If you're on 10.2x you may also be experiencing a disruptor ring expansion that is eating up the memory in the system faster than previous. You can check this by changing the value for cmdb.search.disruptor.ring.buffer.size from null to 1024 on production scale UCMDB's to something smaller, 256 or 512 for a smaller foot print. 

There are queue processing changes in 10.2x that alter the old bottlenecks we reported from first-in, first-out to a more modern disruptor ring approach. Memory in 10.20 was being allocated in large blocks too quickly because the OOB "null" setting was allowing a much larger than intended memory grab.

Erik

effectualsystems.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the information thats very useful knowledge.

We are running 10.20. Its only recently been upgraded from 10.11 to 10.20 and since the upgrade I've noticed these dump files being created as they weren't happening before.

I'll look at the the settings you've suggested to see if that will help reduce these from being generated. I've also altered the java heap size to 2048 - 4096.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.