Highlighted
Visitor.

UCMDB 10.10 high availability architecture

Hi Experts,

I got a question on UCMDB high availability architecture.

Is it possible to stretch UCMDB cluster beyond a single site meaning one UCMDB server in cluster will reside in Site A while another UCMDB server from the same cluster will reside in Site B which is in different geographical location. Both sites are connected via a fast link.

Thanks.

0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Re: UCMDB 10.10 high availability architecture

I don't think this is a good idea. 

UCMDB is saving the heartbeat on the DB side, but memory sync done over the eithernet.

So, it's all about how fast is a link.

I'd like to mention, that possible not always meaning supportable. 🙂

DB Guide is recomennding to keep UCMDB on the same subnet with DB. So, different geo location for UCMDB and DB not such a good idea as well.

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Dima, Thanks for your response.

So if I need to support two different sites for the purpose of HA, UCMDB on one site will run hot and on another one - cold? And within a site I can cluster multiple UCMDB instances. Databases between sites will be synced using one of the available mirroring technologies. Would this solution be supportable?

DB Guide is mentioning same subnet in the context of Oracle SCAN. I'm using MSSQL so I just skipped Oracle section 🙂
DB Guide does not give any recommendations for MSSQL. I guess it just implies the same.

Regards
Loga
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Hey Loga,

UCMDB is very intensive in DB interaction. HA has memory sync between nodes.

I do understand the idea of geo-redundancy, but not sure this is a possible option.

BTW, how fast your conneciton between datacenters is?

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Hi Dima,
I'm planning to run UCMDB clusters on per site basis. On one site the cluster (with 2 node) will be active, on another site cluster will be in standby mode - basically not running. There is no intersite memory syncing. When required the standby cluster will started.
Do you see any issues with this approach?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

Please confirm that my understanding is correct.

There are two sites. Every one of them will have separate UCMDB installation with 2 nodes HA setup. You're planing to sync data between two with UCMDB to UCMDB integration adapter. 

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Data sync between sites is done using one of data mirroring technologies available from DB vendors. The adaptor cannot be used as the standby instance is not running.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor..

I'm sorry I'm not getting the point.

Would you mind elaborating a bit?

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.