Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

UCMDB 9.05 to 10.01 upgrade documents

Hi Team,

I have a document prepared which helps us to upgrade from 9.05 to 10.01 but I do see in the PDF that the SQL space required for Schema should be around 250%. Please find it attached

Could anyone who has done the upgrade explain what this size mean? Is it a memory or table space which it is talking about. We are using Oracle data base.

Also, it would be really helpful  if you could share any additional information or best practises required to be followed during the upgrade.

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: UCMDB 9.05 to 10.01 upgrade documents

Hi,

Have you upgraded this,i am also planning to upgrade my uCMDB 9.05  to 10.

Regards,
hp4u
0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

I believe if you carefully go through the Deployment guide UCMDB 10 Combines CMDB DB and History DB into one so we are increasing our Dev Environment to 250% of current size please let me know how you have implemented it

Cheers 🙂

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.. Acclaimed Contributor..
Acclaimed Contributor..

Dear all,

Many customers already upgraded there environments to UCMDB 10.0X.

HP Support here to help, so please do not hesitate to open support cases in case of any concerns during the upgrade.

One thing that I like to highlight is history DB.

The history DB is important part of UCMDB. UCMDB can't live without it. Many processes depends on it. So, from one side you can't turn it off. From other side, you can't save all. History DB was recreated from the scratch in UCMDB 10. Now it's much faster and reliable.

If you have huge history DB in UCMDB 9.X, it could be a good idea to make it smaller (3-6 months). This will make your upgrade much faster.  

Regards
-Dmitry Gomel, PMP
Click the Like button at the bottom to say 'Thanks'.
Highlighted
New Member.

experts, Dima what is the recommended maximum size  of history db  - CMDB_History_data file . can we clean up the history db  using jmx commands before moving to 10.01 if history settings are not archiving and purging  history data?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

If you are on version 9, the history changes mentioned above are very different. It writest to the same database, but with a totally different mechanism and structure. Each CI and attribute forks its own table space and each period of time chunks the history into its own table. Instead of searching for all in the new version, you can get very rapid respones from the system by using custom date ranges, which prevents the application from querying to the start of atomic time in 1970.

We have not moved more than 90 days of history in the upgrade process from 9.05 to 10.01. You can set these in the infrastructure settings and allow the purge process to clean itself up. Or you can drop the history database entirely.

Another option to consider is keeping the history and the current version and standing up a new version of the databases. Then upgrade the database from a restored backup. Essentially cloning the servers so your history and old version are preserved intact for systems of record. We upgrade by using integrations from the old to the new, allowing us to move just the data we want.

In place upgrades work well enough from 9.05 to 10.01 and will move over relevant history. HOWEVER, as a best practice, I recommend doing an in place from the cloned system. It's good to always have a reference to go back to.

Erik

effectualsystems.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.

thank you .  But what is the recommended size limit of cmdb_historydata file that needs to be maintained  in 9.05 so no performance impact  ? we do have history set in infrastructure settings .But can one set and run the JMX history purge settings  as an  on demand purging when UCMDB server is up and can this be done without shutdown or stopping the UCMDB server? Also will the cmdb_historydata file size will be reduced after purging ? how can we view the contents of cmdb_history_datafile?

team any quick suggestions answers.ideas? thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

bsmarchitect3,

There is no recommended size imit that I've ever heard of. Do you want your history in the new instance or NOT? Is there value in that history or NOT? The 9.05 to 10.01 upgrade will move that history over. The SIZE of your History database is directly related to the size of your CMDB and how often you discover aspects or the entire contents of that CMDB. 

No two history databases will ever be remotely similar if they don't:

1. Have roughly the same number and type of discoverable or integrated non-discoverable CI's that change at the same rate
2. Based on how often an attribute or CI relationship changes
3. Based on how long the history is parametrized to save

So there could be some commonality between a 1 million CI database with 5000 servers that is discovered for changes once a day and a 10 million CI database with 12,000 servers that discovers each server once a week. Maybe.

But then if you have 12 months of history data saved, you'll have a different history database than the same size UCMDB and rate of discovery that saves only 3 months of history.

UCMDB 9's history function is really inefficient and slow. It's totally different in 10 and much more performant and scalable. It no longer writes to an external database like a log file.

So to answer your "How long before we have an impact"? How often does anyone actually use History in your instance? Do they mind waiting 9 minutes for it to return results? In my many UCMDB 9 projects, we typically keep 180 days of history. We also avoid using "ALL" for the time period and instead use "CUSTOM" date filtering. Pulling a custom date range History with 180 days with a daily changing UCMDB with 10 million CI's takes about 45 seconds with a properly maintained and indexed history database. Before database tuning, the query for example might time out and not return anything.

The history purge is an onine process.

The History database table size will be reduced when purged, depending especially on whether the table is set up for maintenance. If it isn't set up for maintenance, the rows might be dropped but the database file sizes may not auto shrink. Too many variables depending on how you run your database and how it is maintained.

You can connect to the database server hosting the history file and run queries against it.

Erik

effectualsystems.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

So let me anticipate your next question. "How can I test any of these functions?"

Here's what I suggest you do. Have your DBA dump a backup the history database in entirety.

Test how long it takes to look at old Node's that have been in the UCMDB for a long time. See how long it takes to reveal the ALL history for the node (pick one that has lots of relationships and is fully discovered regularly).

During the right low-use period, trigger a purge to a date range you like that is smaller than your current setting. Run the same History query again.

History was largely junk before 10.x. In an untuned, unmaintained system, it was a serious problem. It was moved out of the UCMDB database to prevent that problem from slowing down the entire system, but still, discovery results make inserts and updates constantly. The larger, the slower the UCMDB 9 history table, the more cumulative effect it will have on UCMDB 9 experience.

We have tested that in 10.01 the History tables (it's now in the same database) does not perform worse or better when you have less or more history. The history query is the only cost paid, there is no impact to browsing, revealing, discovery with having more History than less.

In our CMS environments we save 36 months of history and by design, each month, each CI creates its own new month table. The history query can still take a long time, but in most cases, history returns in seconds, not minutes.

Erik

effectualsystems.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

Can anyone provide me the upgrade detailed document?

Thanks

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.