Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

UCMDB Browser HOW TO TIP: How to use a custom icon for a custom CI Type

Jump to solution

Hi all

ENV INFO: UCMDB 11 on windows + UCMDB Browser 11.0.4 (standalone)

I have a few new CI types. Following the instructions found on the forum, i was able to use customized icons for my new CITs (by placing my_new_CIT_16.gif and _32.gif inside 2 folders on the UCMDB server) and it works fine inside the old GUI.

However, this doesn't affect the browser as the browser has it's own look&feel and Icon style.

Since i have new icons for these CITs, those icons are not accepted / recognized / compatible with the browser, so the browser displays and ugly X icon (missing icon). I want to correct this of course.

Similar to the process of adding a new icon for the UCMDB GUI, is there a way to customize CIT icons for the Browser (which is running on a dedicated server)?

If yes, how and where? What do i need to do?

This is rather urgent, any help or point in the right direction is appreciated!

Thanks

Regards, Marko

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi

yes, that was going to be my next move... After inspecting the web page i was able to identify the missing icons Browser wants to display, and also the path to those icons.

So if you have created a new CIT (MyCIT) and also would like to have your custom icons for it, once you set in the old GUI (in the CI Type Manager) that your MyCIT uses the icon "MyCITIcon", this will instruct the Browser to try to display the icons:

FOLDER: (on the Browser server, UCMDB Browser root path)\webapps\ucmdb-browser\images\ucmdb_icons\MyCITIcon

ICONS NEEDED:

• MyCITIcon_16.gif
  • MyCITIcon_16.png
  • MyCITIcon_32.gif
  • MyCITIcon_32.png
  • MyCITIcon_32.svg

So here is the solution:

UCMDB Browser has it's own icon set, but the similar logic like for old GUI still stands.

1. either draw your own icons, or use some existing as a template. Make sure you have both a 16x16 and 32x32 pixel version of the icon, and also a .gif and .png version. So now we have:

• MyCITIcon_16.gif
  • MyCITIcon_16.png
  • MyCITIcon_32.gif
  • MyCITIcon_32.png

2. convert the MyCITIcon_32.png to SVG format. I used the online SVG converter (https://www.aconvert.com/image/png-to-svg/ ), you can find them online. Make sure the name is: MyCITIcon_32.svg

3. put all 5 files in the folder MyCITIcon and copy the entire folder to the Browser server into:

(on the Browser server, UCMDB Browser root path)\webapps\ucmdb-browser\images\ucmdb_icons\

4. log out of and log back in to the Browser (no restart or any other action needed)

Here is the end result attached.

Tnx

Marko

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hello Marko,

The Browser (or the New UI as we call it in UCMDB 11.x) didn't port this feature from the applet based UI.

I would submit an idea exchange for it as I didn't see anything related to this aspect so far.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi Bogdan

okay, tnx for the confirmation.

How about me finding the icons on the Browser side and customize those icons also?

Where do i find icon files and what to do when customized (i.e. all the places i must put the customized icon files, restart the browser service, etc.)

Any guidance on that? Anyone did something like that?

Marko

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Never had to do this on the New UI but a good approach would be to use Developer Tools in Chrome and try to see in the source code or CSS style (do we have that in HTML5 based on React?) and maybe you can identify the file names of those pictures and thus you can find them on the disk.

Still can't see how this would work in the New UI.

Kind regards,
Bogdan Mureșan

EMEA Technical Success
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi

yes, that was going to be my next move... After inspecting the web page i was able to identify the missing icons Browser wants to display, and also the path to those icons.

So if you have created a new CIT (MyCIT) and also would like to have your custom icons for it, once you set in the old GUI (in the CI Type Manager) that your MyCIT uses the icon "MyCITIcon", this will instruct the Browser to try to display the icons:

FOLDER: (on the Browser server, UCMDB Browser root path)\webapps\ucmdb-browser\images\ucmdb_icons\MyCITIcon

ICONS NEEDED:

• MyCITIcon_16.gif
  • MyCITIcon_16.png
  • MyCITIcon_32.gif
  • MyCITIcon_32.png
  • MyCITIcon_32.svg

So here is the solution:

UCMDB Browser has it's own icon set, but the similar logic like for old GUI still stands.

1. either draw your own icons, or use some existing as a template. Make sure you have both a 16x16 and 32x32 pixel version of the icon, and also a .gif and .png version. So now we have:

• MyCITIcon_16.gif
  • MyCITIcon_16.png
  • MyCITIcon_32.gif
  • MyCITIcon_32.png

2. convert the MyCITIcon_32.png to SVG format. I used the online SVG converter (https://www.aconvert.com/image/png-to-svg/ ), you can find them online. Make sure the name is: MyCITIcon_32.svg

3. put all 5 files in the folder MyCITIcon and copy the entire folder to the Browser server into:

(on the Browser server, UCMDB Browser root path)\webapps\ucmdb-browser\images\ucmdb_icons\

4. log out of and log back in to the Browser (no restart or any other action needed)

Here is the end result attached.

Tnx

Marko

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.