Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

UCMDB Enrichment Question

Hi Experts,

We have servers spread across 600+ locations and IP Subnet is unique to each location. Created following enrichment rule: 

Query Node - IP Subnet (Condition attribute name =10.*.*.*) -> Node

Enrichment - Update query node "DiscoveredLocation" - Houston

This one enrichment works for single location. Now if I need to have "DiscoveredLocation" populated for 600 locations then do I need to create 600 rules? Or is there a simpler way to have one rule determine DiscoveredLocation from all IP Subnets that exist? I tried regexp but that would not work in this case where we are using IPSubnet as criteria to determine the location.

Please Advise!

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Re: UCMDB Enrichment Question

Hi Friend

As i understand from your post the one point objective is to update the location for certain nodes. If yes ! you would definetly do not have to create 600 enrichent 🙂

Create an enrichment  

1. Choose query node option

2. Drag Location and node and create relationship as Location (Membership) -> Node (condition apply ''ip/node name)

3. choose Enrichment option

4. Drag Location and attach with the node CI using memebership 

5. Apply condition to update location 

thanks 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi, 

The objective is not to update Location CI but to update "DiscoveredLocation" attribute of Node CI based on IP Subnet. How can this be confgiured using one enrichment for 600+ location? Is it even possible?

Regards,
Sandeep

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.. Valued Contributor..
Valued Contributor..

Hi Sandeep

Hope you are doing good.

Can you filter the desired nodes using TQL. If yes !

1. Then update the node using enrichment rule.

2. Select 'enrichement rule'  tab

3. Click on edit

4. Select discovered location and assign the value 'you choice'

5. Run the enrichment

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Sandeep,

I don't have a solution, but for the benefit of anyone else reading this thread, let me see if I can clarify what your problem is.

You have a simple enrichment rule that works where you update the Node CI's DiscoveredLocation attribute based on what IP subnet the Node is using.  Your problem is that you have 600+ locations.  This would mean that you have to either put 600+ 'OR' conditions in your one enrichment rule to account for all the subnets or create 600+ separate enrichment rules.

What you are hoping for (I assume) is to use some sort of lookup table where a single enrichment rule with a single condition could map the IP subnet to a location in order to keep the whole solution managable.

Does that sound right?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi

is this question dead unanswered? The problem (and the solution) is potentially applicable to many scenarios,

Have things been improved in the tool in the last 2 years? Is this possible to achieve: "some sort of lookup table where a single enrichment rule with a single condition could map the IP subnet to a location in order to keep the whole solution managable"

thanks

marko

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

What can be done is to create a new CI class with two custom attributes - IPSubnet and Location. Then to load the mapping between SubNet and Location  - so you will end up with 600+ CIs inside the class. The use Join Query to link this class with the subnets which already exist. The use an enrichment to get the Location part and to put it to DiscoveredLocation.

Cheers,

Petko Popadiyski

Freelance Microfocus CMS UCMDB Consulting

Likes are appreciated!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.