Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Tathagata Absent Member.
Absent Member.

UCMDB Multitenancy Clarifications

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please find attached, few questions that is not clear to me.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: UCMDB Multitenancy Clarifications

Jump to solution

You can only have one tenant per probe.  What, if any, additional questions do you have?

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
UCMDB Worldwide Support Lead
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'
0 Likes
7 Replies
RazvanBolocan
Visitor.

Jump to solution

1. The difference between customer and tenants.
-customers can have/manage multiple tenants.
-customers can have different class models hence even if  customer has same tenants created they are  kind of different (actually never seen such a configuration and not sure if it’s possible)

2. Why we cannot add a tenant from JMX console.
It can be done from jmx-console->Tenant Management Services->addTenant

3. In the documents it’s given that we need separate probes for separate tenants.
 Yes it is recommended to set different tenant for each probe as in the push population job it is easier to know  from where and what probe has added/changed data.
Also as I know it probe that manages multiple tenants does not know to what tenant to map data in case of push for example.

4. How do we download separate probes for separate tenants in that case and how to install those in a tenant specific manner?
If I understand correctly to set up probe with default tenant  you need to go to data flow probe install folder\conf\ DataFlowProbe.properties  and in there  you can find “com.hp.ucmdb.discovery.Probe.DefaultTenant”

5.     Suppose we integrate uCMDB with Service Manager or any other tool and want it to be tenant specific, how are we going to link it through the customer credentials in the SM side or through the tenant credentials in the SM side so that data’s and resources of one cannot be visible by others. (as I had seen in tenants, we can view the data of 1 tenant in the other).
 I am not an expert in SM but as I know it SM is not tenant specific. If can be configured to handle tenants (keep original tenatns) as a middle man but I am not sure if possible to restrict data visibility on tenants.
6. What is the difference between Groups and resource groups?
A group can contain several users and  assigns to them permissions on resources like a specific view or tql or some CIT.
Resources groups refers to all views all queries and when assigning such a role that has permissions on resource group it will give permissions on all views or  queries.
So the main difference is that  Groups refers to groups of users and can have  several roles assigned, so basically is permission assignment. Resource groups represents grouping resources in order to be assigned to specific role.

0 Likes
Tathagata Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

Referring to question 1:

Is Customer and Tenants same thing or different thing?

Please find attached document to find the scenario I am facing.

Referring to question no 4:

After installing the probe for the default tenant, how to install probes thereon for further tenants that I had added.

0 Likes
RazvanBolocan
Visitor.

Jump to solution

Customer  and tenant are different things.

Customers can be viewed as a building owner.  Withina building we can have several tenatns. Each tenant can  own part of the building (just one part; it can contain several stories or  just an apartment) of the building and they can be shared with other tenants. 

0 Likes
RazvanBolocan
Visitor.

Jump to solution

I think a probe can have only one default tenant assigned. So it can only be changed.

In order to add new tenant assignement add new probe.

When speaking about multi tenancy  we have these rules. Resources can have only one owner but it can be shared/viewed by several ones (according to  what permission I assign).

0 Likes
Tathagata Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

okk in that case, both Customer and tenants can be added together.

But that is not the scenario according to the Document i had attached in the previous post.

0 Likes
Tathagata Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

You can only have one tenant per probe.  What, if any, additional questions do you have?

Hope this helps,
Keith Paschal
UCMDB Worldwide Support Lead
Micro Focus Support
If you find this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution."

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.