UCMDB Tip: Advantages and disadvantages of the UD Agent-less and Agent-Based Discovery
Recently we had a lot of questions regarding benefits of UD Agent-less vs Agent-based discovery. Here is a quick summary of the advantages and disadvatages of the UD Agent-less vs Agent-Based Discovery.
UD allows to choose the best method of discovery per the specific needs and constraints of each management zone.
Agent-less Discovery has the following advantages:
- No need to deploy/maintain agent per server
- No continued presence on discovered device (minimal footprint)
- Leverages available access points (protocols) to get desired information
Note*: Not always Operating system credentials are available. Often security policies force credentials to be changed on a regular basis. Also, protocols like NTCMD require a lot of prerequisites (specific system configuration)
Agent-based Discovery provides the following advantages:
- Overcome security barriers
- Maintenance of user credentials is challenging
- Deeper insight into computer information (e.g. software utilization)
- Enables agent-initiated data reporting (“Call Home”)
Note*: Not everything can be done via the agent. The agent can only act as a replacement/alternative to shell protocols. So only those discovery jobs that work through shell protocols can potentially run through the agent.
If you find that this or any post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.”
Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'
Re: UCMDB Tip: Advantages and disadvantages of the UD Agent-less and Agent-Based Discovery
Is there any link available where can i actually see both agent-based & agent-less CI's discovery report for same CI.